A lot of bubbles coming out of the pop ups and returns

This may or may not be important since I haven't noticed if this was happening the whole time the bubbles was a problem, but as I've watched my system, some of the heads are staying up as the next set up heads pop up. Sometimes it's 1 that stay up, somexs it's 3. It might be for a couple seconds or for a minute or so. Could this be related or what is this usually a sign of? pebbles stuck in the sytem? System is running on low speed. thanku!

The in floor system does not create any issue on the suction side which is where the air would come from.

For IFCS questions, lets have @proavia join in.

pb came out and put his ear near the pump area and heard air coming out of the handle that pulls up so that we can reverse the flow of water to backwash DE filter. He said to go to pool store to get O rings for it and if that doesn't fix the problem get a whole new handle. He said the heads staying up could be due to air in the system which makes sense but at the same time I'm crossing my fingers cuz it doesn't seem like that much air. pb seems confident no need to give us another place to look if that doesn't fix the prob. we'll see! I'll post as we make progress!

We are still with our problem. here's the question and if anyone wants to read my whole update and rant that will be below.

question: is air supposed to push both out the back of the pump and down and forward coming from the back piece of the pump. this may be confusing even with attached pics. could this cause large bubbles and r pumps usually warrantied (pump is 5 yo?) do they require maintenance or cleaning if leaves or grass... got in pump?

We had changed the O ring on the Handle where we pull up to reverse the flow to backwash like the pool builder had said bye I said but it did not fix the problem. We changed the Circuit board because that was more of an urgent problem and figured we would get around too round to dealing with the bubbles after we had but we had finished some digging in the backyard which we are not done with yet. Now our circuit board is not turning the pull on and off but that is a different thread. In the meantime we are thinking of getting the pool builder out to look at various various things that don't seem to be Going right and before I did that I wanted to ask regarding regarding a loud noise of air that I hear coming from the pump. I'm. I'm wondering if the air that the pool builder heard coming from the handle had been coming from the pump the whole time period I had done some blowing blowing of grass last week by the pump, which I have never done, so I wonder if something got stuck.

thx!

Attachments

• 20211102_193947.jpg
    20211102_193947.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211102_193941.jpg
    20211102_193941.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211102_193931.jpg
    20211102_193931.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211102_193925.jpg
    20211102_193925.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 7
question: is air supposed to push both out the back of the pump and down and forward coming from the back piece of the pump.
There is a fan behind this cover.

So, yes, there is air being pushed by the fan.

1635986946595.png

TriStar-Variable-Speed-Pool-Pump-Stand-Alone-or-Relay-Control-includes-Pump-User-Interface

1635987088259.png

A single speed pump motor has an internal fan that pulls air in through front vents and pushes it out through back vents.

The cooling air goes through the inside of the motor.

1635987632753.png

A variable speed motor is a TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) motor.

A TEFC motor has the fan mounted on the back and the air goes on the outside of the motor.

This air is unrelated to anything inside the pump housing.

20211102_193941-jpg.380639

I'm trying to figure out how y'all can draw on the pics. I wanted to draw an arrow and tell u that the air comes forward and down from the back part of this pump (on the left). The part that is the obvious part on the back, that has the grids for the fan obviously blows air, too. The noise, more like a faint whistling was coming from the other part blowing downward and forward. I used the blower again today to clear out the area a bit. Maybe a piece of straw got stuck or my husband thought the pump could be cracked and the noise and air wasn't supposed to come out of the bottom of the pump. It might've always been this way, but I don't think so. I'm extra aware of the stuff on my pool as I learn more and more and the pb who came to try to figure out where the bubbles were coming from listened for an air leak and now it sounded so much stronger, but I think it's actually not a problem from what folks r saying here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kim

My question is... Why do you have straw anywhere near your pump and pool equipment in the first place?
Clear all that out. If any equipment overheats, you could start a fire with all that dried straw anywhere close to the equipment. You live in the desert - straw, grass, weeds, debris shouldn't be anywhere near the pool equipment.

As for the air coming out your returns, you probably have a suction side air leak somewhere. Or possibly, your pump rpm may be a little too low and the small bubbles produded by your SWG are collecting somewhere on the return side of your plumbing. Once enough of the small bubble collect, they form a larger bubble which eventually gets pushed thru to your pool returns.

But most likely, it's a suction side leak.
Remove pump basket lid, clean all mating surfaces and o-ring, lube o-ring and reassemble.
If you have a leaf canister, do the same with it.
With pump off, listen around all Jandy valves for a hissing noise - which would signify an air leak.
Search the forums here on other ways to find a suction side air leak.

JamesW, Seeing the fan cover, it makes sense that air should probably blow out of the back and through the front of it. thx for directions on how to draw on here! Proavia, yes, I got all the debri out from under the pump yesterday to see if that would help but I never though of a fire! It's right next to the house! I'll take a look at what u recommended. thx!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.