Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2020
Sydney's Northern Beaches
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
First off, a big thank you to this forum. It was the APP that introduced me to TFP, ashamed to say, initially to find out what sort of website would charge a subscription for such a basic app. As I dug deeper, I realise there are such great people here, and the advice put the pool shops to shame. I support paying for the app, knowing it will fund TFP. Whilst it was too late to save the $400 I spent trying to battle an algae problem, I know the tips here will save me hundreds more.

So my question: I'm on my 6th day of SLAM and my pool has gone from opaque to crystal clear. It also passes the overnight test. However, each morning, I still see a carpet of brown dead algae. My robot vacuum cannot hoover it up, it just swirls it around. It makes the floor clean, but I'm assuming it's just dissolved. Backwashing still shows lots of white stuff (algae). So strictly speaking, I pass all the criteria to end SLAM.

The pool water is 30 degrees (37.5F), and I have bush fire debris to contend with. The air temperature is 35-40 ( 95-104F). Daily CL consumption is high (maybe 6PPM) but since I didn't know what I was doing before, I cannot say if this is normal. So I wonder for this summer season, can I lower the CL levels and just contend with the fact that algae will grow because of high temperatures and ash and I should expect higher than normal CL consumption?

Current stats:
Pool Temp: 28c (37.5F)
PH 7.2 (6 days ago before SLAM)
TA: 60
CH 400
CYA: 50
SALT: 5300
CSI: -0.69
LSI: -0.34
TDS: 3800
Phosphates (before SLAM): 3.7

Waterco Eco Filter, DE added, SWG turned off, Filter running 6 days straight.

Great to hear. We would prefer you keep at SLAM levels until all the algae (even dead) is gone from the pool. But if you are confident that you are passing the OCLT and wish to let the FC drift down to target level, go ahead.

I would keep the FC in the upper target area (say 10% of CYA or higher) for awhile to see that things clean up.

If you would consider it, your donations support this site. We are all volunteers and our costs are covered by your donations.

Support TFP!

FYI -- raising your CYA to 70 or 80 should reduce your daily FC loss. 6 ppm is a bit high. 4 ppm is pretty normal for me in the summer and we are get much strong UV and have high pool water temperatures from it.

First off, a big thank you to this forum. It was the APP that introduced me to TFP, ashamed to say, initially to find out what sort of website would charge a subscription for such a basic app. As I dug deeper, I realise there are such great people here, and the advice put the pool shops to shame. I support paying for the app, knowing it will fund TFP. Whilst it was too late to save the $400 I spent trying to battle an algae problem, I know the tips here will save me hundreds more.

So my question: I'm on my 6th day of SLAM and my pool has gone from opaque to crystal clear. It also passes the overnight test. However, each morning, I still see a carpet of brown dead algae. My robot vacuum cannot hoover it up, it just swirls it around. It makes the floor clean, but I'm assuming it's just dissolved. Backwashing still shows lots of white stuff (algae). So strictly speaking, I pass all the criteria to end SLAM.

The pool water is 30 degrees (37.5F), and I have bush fire debris to contend with. The air temperature is 35-40 ( 95-104F). Daily CL consumption is high (maybe 6PPM) but since I didn't know what I was doing before, I cannot say if this is normal. So I wonder for this summer season, can I lower the CL levels and just contend with the fact that algae will grow because of high temperatures and ash and I should expect higher than normal CL consumption?

Current stats:
Pool Temp: 28c (37.5F)
PH 7.2 (6 days ago before SLAM)
TA: 60
CH 400
CYA: 50
SALT: 5300
CSI: -0.69
LSI: -0.34
TDS: 3800
Phosphates (before SLAM): 3.7

Waterco Eco Filter, DE added, SWG turned off, Filter running 6 days straight.
Hey not quite so near neighbor, i don't spot a reference in your sig to what test kit you have, we don't have a lot of choice but CCL (Clear Choice Labs – Simple. Accurate. Fast.) is the go to kit for us aussies.

The dust storms along with the bushfires have been bringing in some very small particles that result in red/brown deposits on the pool floor. You could well have two issues, one you have defeated (the algae) and the other is just dust deposits that will take forever filter out due to their size. I would be trusting the OCLT results personally.
I just boosted my CYA back to 80 yesterday from 50 and at 50 i was also seeing around 6ppm daily consumption.
Since i put in the SWCG a couple months ago it's noticeable when the CYA drops that the daily usage creeps up.
BTW 28c = 82f

Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks! Yeah, I'll trust the numbers and the trouble and strife ("It's so clear now!"). I'm dropping the CL. You clarified what I thought. I was so confused at "the dust". Algae or bushfire dust? Your prolly right, it's both. It does look like whats on my car!

I'm definately using ClearChoice tests. Works great, I love the accurate, objective, numbers. Except for the Calcium test, seems off by 25%

After I stabilise, I now need to know how much my SWG puts out. I never ever got that right.

Hey not quite so near neighbor, i don't spot a reference in your sig to what test kit you have, we don't have a lot of choice but CCL (Clear Choice Labs – Simple. Accurate. Fast.) is the go to kit for us aussies.

The dust storms along with the bushfires have been bringing in some very small particles that result in red/brown deposits on the pool floor. You could well have two issues, one you have defeated (the algae) and the other is just dust deposits that will take forever filter out due to their size. I would be trusting the OCLT results personally.
I just boosted my CYA back to 80 yesterday from 50 and at 50 i was also seeing around 6ppm daily consumption.
Since i put in the SWCG a couple months ago it's noticeable when the CYA drops that the daily usage creeps up.
BTW 28c = 82f

Welcome to the forum :)

Im sure glad you posted that. I was scratching my head how the pool could be 37 F when the air was 100F.

Obviously my math isn't so good :)

Anyhow, the pool is still fine. The dust that looks like algae continues but given that my overnight tests are solid, I'm concluding it's not algae but bushfire dust. Slam complete.

Thanks everyone.

Obviously my math isn't so good :)

Anyhow, the pool is still fine. The dust that looks like algae continues but given that my overnight tests are solid, I'm concluding it's not algae but bushfire dust. Slam complete.

Thanks everyone.
good to hear the pool is fine, here is a thread about the dust we got in canberra yesterday from a brief shower of rain

After I stabilise, I now need to know how much my SWG puts out. I never ever got that right.
The do it in the real world method is effectively the same as the OCLT, but with the SWCG running.
Measure your levels at the start of the night, turn your SWCG on with pump and run at a known %, 100% keeps the maths easy. measure again as you did for the OCLT and see how much it has gone up
total FC increase divided by hours running gives chlorine production in ppm for your pool.

Example
Start FC 5ppm
Finish FC 10ppm
increase = 5
ran for 10hrs
0.5ppm FC per hour

Now if you consume 4ppm per day you would need to run your SWCG for 8hrs to cover the consumption

Reactions: carnivalday

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
good to hear the pool is fine, here is a thread about the dust we got in canberra yesterday from a brief shower of rain

Exactly what I see everyday on the bottom of my pool. Think of what that is doing in my lungs...

Reactions: AusPhil
The do it in the real world method is effectively the same as the OCLT, but with the SWCG running.
Measure your levels at the start of the night, turn your SWCG on with pump and run at a known %, 100% keeps the maths easy. measure again as you did for the OCLT and see how much it has gone up
total FC increase divided by hours running gives chlorine production in ppm for your pool.

Example
Start FC 5ppm
Finish FC 10ppm
increase = 5
ran for 10hrs
0.5ppm FC per hour

Now if you consume 4ppm per day you would need to run your SWCG for 8hrs to cover the consumption

Yup! I just did that. Eight hours on max and I got 2ppm net for 0.25ppm/hr. Since weather is the same all week, I'm predicting no increase since my CL consumption has dropped from 5ppm to 2 per day. I read somewhere that every 10 degrees over 80F, CL consumption doubles. And that is what I see. On a real hot day my SWG can't replenish. And now I know to top up with LIQUID chlorine :)

Reactions: AusPhil
I read somewhere that every 10 degrees over 80F, CL consumption doubles.
That is a myth. It more heavily based on UV impact caused by the angle of the sun. Also bather load. Air temperature has little effect on your pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.