Am I asking to much?

Jul 4, 2015
lady lake fl
We are in the middle of building a 28'x14' shortcrete pool. So far its been 7 weeks and the shell and deck are poured. We are still waiting for pumps, plaster and a pool cage. The workers show up for a hour or 2 then you dont see anyone fore a week.
I guess my problems are builder has never put up any kind of safety netting around pool at any stage. When you walk out of our house there is a 10x10 cement deck at is 3 feet higher than pool deck there is nothing from stopping my kids( 8and 11) from falling in. My yard is fenced on one side so anyone can walk in our yard and fall in the cement pit.
I have been home one day when they have been working on the pool. I was talking to the guy who was backfilling the shell. I told him that my septic was on the left hand side of the house and he would have to go around the other side. He told me that his bobcat was low weight, I told him fine but still go around anyway. It would have taken 1 min more. I went in the house and he drove right over the septic anyway. I called the owner of the company and she said "ok" that was it. When we signed the contract I told them where the septic was and I dont want anyone driving on it.
When they poured all cement so far it been over 98 in the shade. They left the pool all day in the sun with no water on it. I called the builded when I got home from work she told me cement will be fine you dont need to spray it with water. I went out and sprayed it for the next week.
I think my biggest problem is my yard slants when you come out the back door its 3 ft higher than the pool deck. Then the pool deck is 3-4 ft higher than what the dirt was before constuction. They used all the dirt that came out of the pit plus they want to buy more to bring it up. The problem is may back neighbors fence is 20 ft from the pool deck so my yard is going to drop 4ft in about 15ft because of bamboo and other plants by the fence. They should have retaining wall when they poured the deck. There is no way with the rain we get here in FL that all that dirt is not going to end up in my neighbors yard. I called the owner after they poured the deck and she said " it will be fine" If they had come to me when they were laying out the deck and said do you want a 45deg yard or pay a little more for cement and have a wall off the back of the deck I would have given them cash on the spot.
When we were looking for a builder we asked around at work and looked at past jobs, out of the 3 we got quotes for this one had the best reviews.
Am I asking to much? Do any builder care after they get a signed contract?

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to say, it doesn't sound like this one does. Sadly, there isn't much you can do but be persistent and do your best to get them to cooperate as much as you can. Use money as leverage by not paying for the stages if you aren't satisfied, but be professional about it. Sounds like you've been trying to do that, so just keep trudging onward. Please keep the name of your builder out of the public forum. If other forum members around you happens to ask in private, that's fine, let them know. Best of luck, and enjoy the forum.

Wow sorry to hear. This to me sounds like unclear communication and expectations. Assuming you have not, if I were you I would quickly have a come to Jesus meeting with the pb. Make a list. ..the disrespect from the subs, the apparent unclear design plans, the duration of time the stages of work are taking etc... if the pb understands your expectations and then fails to meet them - be prepared to take the necessary steps.

We went with this PB because of reviews and they are a family run business for over 20yrs. They seemed real easy to talk to when we were getting quotes. The first plans they came up with slapped a big pool and deck coming off the house like a tee. That cut the backyard in half making it useless, thats not what we wanted. They said ok and made the pool a little smaller and ran parallel with the house. I told them after the pool I was going to make a horseshoe pit behind the pool and a walkway to the fire pit. They said "that would be great" Now that the contract is signed they are just going to slap a pool in the backyard and the PB owner has moved on to the next pool quote. It will cost us 40grand when all is done, no spa or water fall just a pool and cage.
I guess its my fault as much as theirs, I told them what I wanted and how I wanted it but it is not spelled out word for word in the contract, so they did what they wanted.
I guess when my family is swimming in the pool they can watch me digging out and building a retaining wall!

I called the PB today she was very sorry for all the problems I had. She is going to get her guys out to my house and we will be swimming in the pool next week. So the week is half over and she is going to have the pool cage installed, plaster the pool, have the electrician hook up power, install pumps and filter, fill pool, install door alarms and have pool inspected by the end of next week.
I told her I thought it took 30days for the marcite plaster to setup before it could be swam in. She said no you can swim in it a day or 2 after filling it. This is the same person who told me you dont need to hose down fresh concrete in the FL sun. I dont know what to do but hope for the best and stay out of the pool for 30 days.

If the gunite does not cure correctly and fails due to that, the PB will be on the hook for it warranty-wise.
The PB would try to put it on the gunite company, but I am sure they would try to cover themselves by saying the PB did not follow their curing instructions for the period after shooting.
Whatever the case it would not be on you, but it would be a incredible PIA.

Make sure you document all your interactions with the PB.
I make sure all my communication is via text & email.
That ensure the PB knows there is a paper trail of their interactions with you.
If it ever comes to a civil suit, all your attempts to solve this amicably will go far in the eyes of the judge.

Phone conversations are like smoke in the wind, and the PB knows it. Whenever my PB actually responds to my text with a phone call, I know he is essentially saying "off the record".
I follow these conversations up with a 'meeting minutes' email. If he does not respond that is tacit agreement to the content.

This all seems very litigious, but it's effect is to keep the situation out of court.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.