Persistent yellow fluffy stuff

simste01

Platinum Supporter
May 5, 2014
Huntington, IN
After a year of crystal clear water and no problems, I got sloppy and didn't check the FC level for a week. We had opened with FC=12.5 and perfect water, but now we had cloudy water – not green, just white/gray cloudy. My fault. So we started to SLAM (I've done it before so I know it works). As the water cleared a bit, I detected some black and mustard yellow stuff on the joint between the light lens and the chrome ring around it. I brushed it and it became a fluffy cloud that floated away. So we took the light out, scrubbed it above water, and scrubbed out the housing. It was full of black flaky stuff that floated to the floor of the pool. We continued the SLAM, and raised the FC to the mustard algae shock level of 40 for 24 hours. When the water was clear, I did the OCLT (SWG off) and lost nothing overnight, so I've been letting the FC drift down for several days. It was at 17 last night – I did the OCLT again just to be sure, and it passed again, lost no FC, CC=.5, water clear. But this afternoon, the fluffy mustard-yellow stuff is back on the light. Help!!

Interesting that you passed the OCLT but are still having problems.

I would hit the light niche again and maybe leave the light out for a while. I would even use my turkey baster to shoot some bleach water into the niche.

Good luck!

Kim

Thanks Kim - did as you suggested (it looked pretty clean on the inside this time) and for awhile, I've been thinking I had it licked. But today, it's back again, a dark yellow/rusty stuff on the lens of the light. Teats results have been good (I have a 'diary' of test results in a spreadsheet - is there any way I can upload that so you can see?) Anyway, here's part of it:

Wed, July 15, 2015 08:45 AM FC=21 CC=0 CYA=50 Notes: SWG off, pump 12hrs on/off , runs 7am-7pm
07:15 PM FC=13.5 CC=0 pH=7.8 CYA=50 Notes: SWG 60%, pump 12hrs on/off, open 6 hrs bright sun
Thu, July 16, 2015 08:30 AM FC=13 CC=0 Notes: passed OCLT again
Fri, July 17, 2015 08:30 AM FC=13 CC=0.5 pH=7.5 Notes: Open 2 hours yesterday, with swimmers

At FC of 21 and CYA of 50 I was over shock level. FC of 13 is still really high and yet I have something growing! And 13 is the lowest FC level I've had since June 18th! The water is crystal clear and sparkles in the sunlight. TA runs about 160-170, CH is 350 or so, both a result of the well water we use to fill to pool. NaCl is 3600. Any ideas? What is this stuff!!?

Okay next steps

-take and leave the light out! Think about replacing it. There should not be any water in the light.

-Lets get that TA down. I am going to post a link to how to do that. It is easy. PLEASE use care when dealing with muratic acid.

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I wonder if the high TA might (notice might) be part of the problem.

I am leaning towards the light causing the problem.

Kim

Okay next steps

-take and leave the light out! Think about replacing it. There should not be any water in the light.

-Lets get that TA down. I am going to post a link to how to do that. It is easy. PLEASE use care when dealing with muratic acid.

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I wonder if the high TA might (notice might) be part of the problem.

I am leaning towards the light causing the problem.

Kim

Had the light out a couple weeks ago - no water in it then. I'll take it our again and and disinfect it again - would leaving it out long enough for it get completely dry help? I didn't do that last time. Maybe I should just take it out - we never use it.

Been working on the TA for a year - it was 270 so I'm making progress. Our source water is really high so it's two steps forward one step back every time I backwash and refill. I have a spa type jet that puts out lots of bubbles but even with that and the SWG the pH is pretty stable. It takes a couple weeks to rise enough to detect the change. Thanks for the caution on MA - I have gloves and a mask but I still hate the stuff.

We live on a farm. Corn and soybeans in alternating years (soybeans this year) are the major plants. One 50 foot tulip poplar 30-40 feet down wind of the pool. It blooms every two or three years, but not this year. We do get a lot of windblown dust usually, but its been so wet this year (record setting rain for the last two months in northeastern Indiana) that I haven't noticed in the pool like usual. It usually settles at the seams in the vinyl liner. And the pool is covered whenever not in use, very little gets in.

The stuff is a rusty yellow color that looks like a fuzzy caterpillar until you touch it, then it vanishes into dust. Nothing on or visible in the water, nothing visible when you brush the walls/floor

Have you put DE in your sand to help filter this stuff out? The DE will filter down a lot lower than just the sand. Here is a link just in case you want to try it. Please note it HAS to be POOL DE.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

I got mine at Lowes. It has worked for some other pools.

Kim

Interesting. I'll try it. I guess each time you backwash it flushes it all out?

Yes it does.

Now when you start to do it make sure you can be there to "babysit" the filter. I would add 1/4 cup at a time. Look for a 1 psi rise on your gauge. Some pools only need 1/4 cup some need 2 cups. Just be watching.

You will also need to check it every hour or so to see what it is doing. Some pools will shoot up fast some take a little while and some just filter along. If it shoots up fast turn it off and backwash and start over with less DE.

Good LUCK!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.