clever thing to go on the coping corner?

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
am fixing up the old pool
started with water and that is now fine, thanks for the help
so on to the surround, putting loose slates back down
later work on the interior of the pool

see pic and red arrow, attached

the corner of the vertical and horizontal slates is very sharp, hard, hostile; also hard to grab to launch out of the pool
is there any device that can be applied to the corner to render it friendly and grab-able?

thank you

Attachments

• DSC_1944.jpg
    DSC_1944.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 233
How?? How do you ever leave with that view?????????? WOWSER!

Okay, Kim, deep breath and answer their question.................LOL

A grinder? and carefully smooth the edges down? You may make a mess but it will be short term.

Now back to looking at your view!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim

Frankly I'd vote against a grinder -- to high a chance of screwing something up -- the slate is not that thick.. Let me put it this way I would screw it up with a grinder.

My suggestion -- not cheap is diamond backed sand paper -- 100 and 300 grit to round off the edge .

Its not cheap: Z Gem Pads | Diamond Hand Pad But it does what you want

Wow the view !!!!! Kimcats and I are coming over tomorrow and drink fruity alcoholic drinks, look at the view and "help" you with this task.

thank you all
I could try to "sandpaper" or "grind" it down, and might do that but...

I was hoping for something that could be grabbed by little (or old) hands

I was thinking of something like
¾ round object that could be "glued" "mortared" "screwed" on
like maybe 2" ¾ round rubber

or maybe chip out the mortar between the vertical and horizontal and mortar a cylinder / rod in the crack

or ???

could also start over with new coping but not ready to go all that way as yet

view is nice, even when cloudy, maybe even more fun when there are whitecaps on the Sound, then scary
easy for a geezer to sit there and forget Iran, Greece, church in North Carolina, etc

I'm sorry about your dilemma, but is that your real view? They say life isn't fair, but seriously!!! You sure you didn't photo shop that???? Ok, ok, I'll take you at your word. My son lives near Portland, and I don't think he will ever live again in Texas. He loves the views!

I'm a newbie on here - my pool isn't even finished. And I may not clearly understand what you're needing, but would the tile hand holds be a possible option? They sell those at the major pool tile places at stores and online. They are a 6x6" waterline tiles with what looks like a half cup (split vertically) on the face of the tile. Your fingers reach in and your palm grabs the cup for a hand hold - there's probably a better way to describe it. I can find a link for you if you like. But... that may not be an option - not sure if one of the existing waterline pieces could be removed.

Best of luck. Suz.

I'm just here for the booze and the view....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
idea has emerged

found a local person who can make custom tiles
could make a right angle tile, 4" on one side and 6" on the other
then cut back the current horizontal slates 4" and remove the vertical slates
then lay in/on the custom tiles

would solve two problems
1) the sharp angle would be gone (now rounded)
2) the vertical sections would not fall off

and
could add hand holds every third tile or so

How in the world did you find him?? That is such a neat idea!

Kim

him is a her

how did I find her?

person x said call y, y said call z, z said call a, a said call b, b said "we could do this"

she is a funky tile "artist"; does not think like an engineer
in fact does not think at all; just free associates from here to there

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.