12 inch straight pipe before flow sensor

gilbee

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
Harvey, LA
Why is it necessary to have 12" of straight pipe before the flow sensor? I accidentally left out some of this in the heat of the plumbing moment, and things seem to be working fine even though I'm slightly short on this. Is it such a big deal that I should be cutting and fixing this? Methinks if the flow sensor is showing flow when it exists and the cell is generating when the pump is on I don't need to cut and adjust...

Idea is so the water is not too turbulent when it gets to the switch. Likely does not matter unless you are trying to run at lower speeds.

So basically, if the flow sensor feels flow is adequate when the 2 speed pump changes to low, then I'm ok? That's what I'm thinking that means...I didn't test it on low last night when I installed it, but I will check it out when it changes to low this afternoon...I run 6 hours on high then swap to low for the remainder of the 13 hour cycle...I know it's probably longer than the pump needs to run, but we like the waterfall effect and we also haven't had a chance to work out exactly how long it must run to do the job---and that would probably change now anyway with the new SWG.

and we also haven't had a chance to work out exactly how long it must run to do the job
Whats to work out? Run the pump for 4 hours and see if it clean enough for your liking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.