New Pool Question

underwater said:
Those thoughts are kinda the way I felt about it. Think I'll go more the "traditional" route. I like returns AND the main drain. Although, I am curious, why would you want to run the pump when the water is below skimmer level anyway.? Never crossed my mind.
With all that being said, is there a general consensus on where to order these kits from?
UW

It would never be in an ideal situation. I ran into it a lot when we had a bad drought here a year ago. Folks were hesitant to fill their pools which was fine if I could run them off a main drain but became a problem in non-m/d systems. It's just nice to be able to do if you have to.

Another reason for running the pool bellow skimmer level is if you need to replace some of the pool water or for repairs. Although you could use a separate pump for draining the pool, it is much faster to drain with the main pump. By isolating the main drain, you can easily drain the pool to a level that is required for either repair or for water replacement.

mas985 said:
Another reason for running the pool bellow skimmer level is if you need to replace some of the pool water or for repairs. Although you could use a separate pump for draining the pool, it is much faster to drain with the main pump. By isolating the main drain, you can easily drain the pool to a level that is required for either repair or for water replacement.

Right! Especially handy for draining below the skimmers for winterizing.

i would like to just make a quick comment on the aqua Genie... DONT DO IT!!!
Ive worked with them for the last 3 years and they are such a pain in the... :whip:

I dont know if you live in an area where u wont have to winterize your pool, but here in nj we do, and from always having to remove the return face plate in order to winterize it, it usually strips out the female treads with in a few seasons, and then u have to start using bigger screws ect..
i dont know why, but many of the pools ive seen with the aqua genie have rust all over the skimmer faceplate and around the skimmer its self, but when my boss would build a pool without the genie... no problems and no rust :)

also, the chlorination part of the skimmer is IMHO stupid.. the small feed hose comes apart, the flow gets weak over time and i dnt know... i guess having to work on them so much im just tired of them.

i will note that the water return pushing down and back around towards the skimmer is a neat idea... but if your building the pool yourself ( which i think u said) you can set up the normal returns anyway u like.

Im a hayward kinda guy.. have always been a big fan of haywards pumps and filters.. it is VERY rare to see a pool in this area with something besides a hayward pump and or filter..

How do any of you guys feel about sand filters filled with "zeo bright" or "zeo sand" ive replaced normal sand with them on many sand filters and havent had any complaints. I have a small 18ft above ground pool at home. Had a de filter on it for years, worked great.. just made a mess. 2 seasons ago i threw a 18" hayward sand filter on the little bugger and filled it with with zeo sand. I personally cant tell a difference at all... which is good since they "claim" it filters the same mircons as a DE

ok, im done... :blah: :blah: :blah:

Heckpools said:
How do any of you guys feel about sand filters filled with "zeo bright" or "zeo sand" ive replaced normal sand with them on many sand filters and havent had any complaints. I have a small 18ft above ground pool at home. Had a de filter on it for years, worked great.. just made a mess. 2 seasons ago i threw a 18" hayward sand filter on the little bugger and filled it with with zeo sand. I personally cant tell a difference at all... which is good since they "claim" it filters the same mircons as a DE
There are quite a few posts on zeolite and a couple of them are linked to at the top of this thread that shows that the manufacturers' claims of zeolite preventing chloramine formation are false.

I have a whisperflo standard efficiency and a Hayward Tristar high efficiency. I much prefer the Tristar which is a nice line of pumps which include 1 speed , 2 speed, and variable speed models.

Many choices, I would encourage you to put extra money in the most energy efficient pump you can afford. Electricity for this pump will be a major portion of your electric bill forever.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.