Intex SWG false high salt

Jun 7, 2015
Nashville TN
This Intex salt unit has not worked well since I bought it. At first it ran fine but after a week it started beeping the Hi Salt warning. According to instructions I emptied about 20% of pool and refilled. No more high salt warning. I took the pool sample for testing and my salt was way too low....2100 or so. So I then added the recommended amount and tested again and it was about 2300 and the high salt warning sounded again. I called Intex "customer support" and one re[ first told me it must be a faulty flow sensor. the next person dropped the call and the third call the rep said it may be the plates. I cleaned the flow sensor and also did the vinegar cleaning of the plates.
Started the salt unit and it was "working" for about 10 seconds then the hight salt warning started beeping again. Filter is clean. With Clorox and chlorine tablets I've got the pool pretty clear - the salt is still a little lower than the 3000 ideal.

Are these Intex SWGs poo poo? I'd happily pay more for a saltwater system that worked!

Hello and welcome back! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about the Intex SWG. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

I had good luck with the Intex SWGs and have known many others who have also. They usually last about 3 years. First thing to do is stop adding salt unless the SWG tells you to. If it is happy and making chlorine then we're all happy. Salt tests are not very accurate, most are +/-400 ppm.

If it ends up not working and Intex won't replace it then get another one. For the money the you can't beat them. I noticed that Academy Sports or Target had all their pool stuff on sale last week. Maybe pick up a spare on end of season clearance sale.

Sure, it is a good value for the money. Everyone makes at least one mistake a year. Doesn't mean it is an inherently bad product. I have seen several reports here where Intex has replaced defective products at no charge. I have used several and there are thousands of people here who have used them successfully.

Any SWG you buy from any manufacturer has the potential for issues. That is why nearly all products have warranties.

My Intex SWG just works when it wants to. I installed one with my new pool, and it worked great the first use. Then high salt alarm started(new pool with 40# less salt then recommended to get desired ppm)..... Changed out 6-8 inches of water refilled. Worked great one more time. Then the High salt alarm. Just for the heck of it i turned it on when I was pumping out water to change more, and it worked! Switched to circulate when on about my business. Today guess what it did again a few minutes ago when i went to turn it on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.