Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to Determine Pump Rate

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to Determine Pump Rate

Here's a plot of the Pentair Whisperflo pump performance, I have the 1.5 HP pump. Is the Y-axis, Ft. of Water, the vertical distance between the pool and the pump? I'm trying to determine appoximately how many gallons per minute my pump pumps.

20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

2. Back To Top    #2
    No, it is a combination of vertical feet and resistance to flow in the plumbing, measured in vertical feet equivalent. Calculating your dynamic head, the vertical axis on that graph, is something of a black art. This page is a good place to start.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    You can also get some information about determining head loss from here. The information on Poolplaza is pretty good but they do make some approximations that are not quite correct. Head loss is not a fixed value but changes with flow rates and pump sizes. The link I gave should help you step through the process. If you have any questions, just let me know.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner