Odd Salt test Results

CLW42

May 8, 2014
Merrimac, MA
Hi Guys,

I'm using the Taylor salt test kit. On the 24th of June I tested and it was at 3,000 I tested again on the 29th and got the same result so I added a 40lb. bag which according to Poolmath would have brought me to ~3,200 ppm which is where I wanted to be. Today I tested and I'm at 2,800. I'm not sure how this could have happened. We had a little bit of rain, but I don't think it's anything that could have impacted the numbers by even close to that much. Is there anything else that could cause a 'loss of salt' aside from water replacement? My test kit is about a year old if that matters.

Also, just to be sure I'm doing it right:

10ml pool water
one drop yellow
drop of brown until water turns 'salmon color'
multiply by 200

Thoughts??

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the mechanics of that test. But, salt tests are inherently inaccurate. Most are +/- 400ppm. They are really only used as a sanity check to make sure your SWG is not way off, like 800-1000 ppm. One of the signs of a failing SWG is giving false low salt warnings. Most SWGs work fine with a wide range of salt, from about 2800 up to over 4000, even 4500 ppm. So, if the SWG is happy and making chlorine then we are all happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.