CYA Testing & Water Temperature

When the water is cold the CYA test needs more time to react before it will get an accurate result. Usually it is simpler to warm up the water sample to indoor temperatures before doing the test.

None of the other common tests are particularly temperature sensitive.

Except the pH test, which actually measures correctly at different temperatures, but the pH varies as a function of temperature. As the temperature gets warmer, the pH drops (all else equal) and vice versa. Going from 40F to 72F can drop the pH by around 0.2 units. Going from 85F to 50F can raise the pH by around 0.2 units. So basically, you don't need nor want to change your pool water temperature towards room temperature when doing the pH test. If you put both the changed pH and the changed temperature into The Pool Calculator, you'll find the CSI (calcite saturation index) remains fairly constant.

Richard

Thanks Richard. So if I understand you correctly I do not need to let the temperature of my water change before doing the pH test. If my water in the pool is 40 I need to test at 40. If I let the water warm up the pH will change. Either way the test is correct but the pH in the pool is not going to be the same as the pH in the container once it warms up. Right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.