Anyone knows Doughboy above ground pools? A skimmer replacement question.

morzh

Jul 3, 2015
Jackson, NJ
Hi,

I am new here.
I hope there is someone with experience in above ground Doughboys.

I have one in the house we are about to list for sale.
I ran it for 10 years, and it is about 30-plus years old. So far everything has been good ( yes, small things, like cracked pump, changing filters etc), but today I decided to open this pool (we moved and the pool stood unattended until today).
Now, I needed to pump out some excess water and when starting it I noticed two things:
1) my pump tripled GFI as soon as it starte pumping water. Easy, I had extra motor and pump, replaced it, worked.
2) as soon as my skimmer filled up I saw sprinkles coming from it. It cracked over thevwinter even though there was no water in it.

Oh well. The local Doughboy store had a new skimmer in stock, according to them they all fit, and indeed the one they sold me seems to fit like a glove.

Two hiccups though.
One is, the skimmer faceplate bezel is designed for different cover, the curent one I have (same store sold them to me) needs that lip to grab on to, which new bezel does not have.
No problem, I simply cleaned and reused the old bezel.

The second one is the gaskets. The old one was two gaskets, external and internal.
Now the new one is dual leaf single gasket, that is the internal and external are connected around inner perimeter.
All would be fine, the holes are where they are supposed to be but: when installed it is a bit wrinkled.
Plus to that, if before the skimmer and vacuum inlet gasket was one piece, now they are tw pieces, and the vacuum inlet one is a bit more wrinkled.

What I am afraid of is, if I tighten the bezel to the skimmer, those wrinkles might create bad seal.

Am I paranoid?
Should the dual gaskets, maybe, be separated before installation? The manual really sucks.

Anyone has experience with these? (Slimline Doughboy skimmer$.

Regards,

Mike.

Hello Mike and welcome to TFP! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post. Our apologies. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Hello Mike and welcome to TFP! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post. Our apologies. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Splash

Thanks for keeping it afloat.
Hopefully someone can answer.

I tightened the screws today and added water.
Bad news, it leaked.

I am not sure what caused it, it tightened well, but the outer side of the pool had some rust (well, something brown) accumulated under it that I was not able to clean and it felt rough, so maybe this is the reason. I almost am tempted to reuse the old gaskets.
Need to clean that rust, not sure how and what it is, maybe with sand paper?
If it is iron deposits, maybe naval jelly?

Anyone?

Well, I guess there are no experts on this one :)

I took it apart again (yes drained some of the water), and checked one thing I was suspicious of: the outer wall under the gasket developed rust and it was quite bumpy. That was obviously breaking the seal.
So I took some sand paper to it, and it smoothed it significantly, after that I took wirebrush on the cordless drill to it, and it exposes some pitting, so I leveled it as much as I could without damaging, and tonight with the help of my neighbour who kindly offered it to me (to hold the skimmer while I am screwing it down), I will put it back.

What I am going to do to try to remedy pitting problem, is running a silicone bead around it, that should take care of pitting. Then I will let it cure for a day, then will add water and check for leaks again. Hopefully it works, I have one shot at it.

Sounds like a plan, if that doesn't work you could move the skimmer to a new location. You'd have to block the old hole with a piece of sheet metal between the wall and the liner taped in place with duct tape. Then either patch the liner or replace it.

Well. did that tonight with the help of the mentioned kind neighbour.
ran two beads of silicone under the outer gasket, one between the skimmer hole and screws, and one between screws and the outside edge of the gasket, after I trimmed the lining (it did keep the gasket somewhat wrinkled). Will let cure and tomorrow will test by adding water. Wish me "a bissele glick" (a little luck) :)

This and previous evenings was adding water, today added to the midline of the skimmer. So far so good, no leaks. Started the pump, threw in the shock....from now it is chemistry, hopefully nothing else gets a hole in it :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.