iAqualink or simple timer?

iankelly

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Colleyville, TX
We have spec'd out a 16x34 rectangular pool with Jandy equipment - variable speed pump, cartridge filter, chlorine injector with heavy metals cartridge, and a Polaris robot - We have No heater (we MAY add a heat pump in the future). We have no Spa and 4 deck jets. We also have a auto cover to keep things cleaner, and reduce evaporation, etc and two LED lights.

So the big question is we have spec'd an iAqualink system to control everything but I am starting to wonder what will it really be controlling?

Would a simple timer set up which runs the pump slowly for a long period and runs the polaris for a few hours suffice? Seems like a lot of options and blinky lights to do very little actual automation. Oh first time pool person here...

I'd ditch the metals cartridge -- mine sits empty -- In most on here's view just another way to make money off of you.

The beauty of automation -- and as you see I have Jandy automation -- is you can sit in the kitchen open the cover,turn on the pool lights and the deck jets - then walk outside and if you don't like the deck jets turn them off from your lounge by the pool. You never go over to the equipment pad.

My family (wife and daughter at least) would kill me if I took away the remote. My wife had a pool and spa as a child -- no way would she go back to turning it all off and on at the pad.

A robot is electric and thrown in when you want to clean and removed when you swim and isn't usually hooked up to automation. A pool sweep is controlled by automation -- it uses either the pool pump or a booster pump to clean.

As Gwegan stated ditch the metals system. That is the last thing you want. You will love the automation. If it is raining we can turn on the system to filter stuff blowing in the pool. If we have swimmers, just grab the remote and extend the runtime to account for the extra load. Pool party and you want to change the pool lights, just grab the remote. IAqualink lets you control the system from PC's, Android, and Apple devices. Even better.

it is easier to program the VS pump thru the iAqualink rather than electric timers and as the other say you can sit in the house to turn things on and off. Think about your tv without a remote....gee i can still think about the days when we didn't have remotes....

Honestly it depends on price and how much work you want to do. If you need to turn a bunch of valves for like spa/waterfall then jandy aqualink is great. i have aqualink with iaqualink and love it, i can sit in the spa and adjust the temp as well as the blower and speed.

most variable speed pumps include a timer, so you leave power on 24/7 and you program the timer on the pump for what speeds/hours you want.

- - - Updated - - -

FYi i hate my polaris. i don't know who thought up pressure side vacuums but they are the dumbest thing ever. It shoots gravel/leaves into a bag and the rest of the fine particles all over the pool into a haze of cloudiness. your skimmer/drain then does the work of filtering it.

suction side vac or robot is the only way to go. i'm in the process of converting my pressure side to suction and removing the booster pump. i think its another pool store scam.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.