Help ... my Dolphin Nautilus keeps getting stuck on side wall

Aug 13, 2014
Seaford, NY
I'm having an issue with my Dolphin Nautilus robotic pool cleaner. The unit turns on and starts to move but always gets stuck on the side of my rectangular pool. It would try to climb a side wall or stair, get up partially or all the way, then come down and turn to the side and become stuck. Attached are four photos of how the unit always ends up (usually after about 2 minutes of it being turned on). The unit was purchased last year and was used only for one season.

Please advise.

2015-07-03 16.29.45.jpg
2015-07-03 16.29.37.jpg
2015-07-03 16.29.28.jpg

Michael

Are there floats that you can adjust on that model? On my M4 tweaking the handle floats changes its directional pattern and climbing capacity.

Have you tried launching it upside down and from different areas of the pool? Are you unwinding it enough "feed" line to move freely?

My m4 is completely unfazed by straightwall or slope, but I also have never seen it turn on its side close to te bottom lie yours!

In your shoes, I might call dolphin and ask how to reset its brain...if its learned this sideways trick, you'll want to "unlearn" it!

Are there floats that you can adjust on that model? On my M4 tweaking the handle floats changes its directional pattern and climbing capacity.

Have you tried launching it upside down and from different areas of the pool? Are you unwinding it enough "feed" line to move freely?

My m4 is completely unfazed by straightwall or slope, but I also have never seen it turn on its side close to te bottom lie yours!

In your shoes, I might call dolphin and ask how to reset its brain...if its learned this sideways trick, you'll want to "unlearn" it!

Thanks for the replies ...

There is plenty of slack in the line so that's not an issue. It appears as if it climbs a sidewall or tries to climb it and when it can't, it turns 90 degrees to the left or right and gets stuck in that position; once in that position, I see the treads spinning but there's nothing to grip on to so after a few seconds, it just stops.

Reactions: Guaring
After watching a little further, I noticed that every single time it got hung up, without fail, it was leaning on the little black rubber spiky bumpers. I hope I didn't set myself up for problems in the future, but I trimmed the points off, so that the track will make contact with the walls. Before my "modification", it was stalling on a wall every 15-20 minutes. After, it didn't get hung up once. I'm gonna try to run 2-3 full cycles tomorrow to see if the success holds.

Pictures below.

27283003872_13c04cc1c1_c.jpg

26774228933_e5a1ede871_c.jpg

Yes, the problem is pretty much solved.

I used to have to free it up from the "stuck" position every 20 minutes or so. Since clipping the rubber pieces, it almost never gets stuck. I don't know if it's possible for this thing to "learn" the pool, but right after the mod, it went from getting stuck every 20 min to getting stuck every 60+. After a few more cycles it seemed to not be getting stuck at all. I can't remember the last time I had to free it from the wall.

As for a reset, I have no idea if that's a thing.

Yes, the problem is pretty much solved.

I used to have to free it up from the "stuck" position every 20 minutes or so. Since clipping the rubber pieces, it almost never gets stuck. I don't know if it's possible for this thing to "learn" the pool, but right after the mod, it went from getting stuck every 20 min to getting stuck every 60+. After a few more cycles it seemed to not be getting stuck at all. I can't remember the last time I had to free it from the wall.

As for a reset, I have no idea if that's a thing.

Thanks for the post. I have the same cleaner and have been cursing the day I bought it. Gets stuck constantly.
I checked the corners and see that they are made of a soft rubber. I was about to cut them off and thought I would try another avenue.

I had removed it from the pool and cleaned out the filters with spray hose. There were only a few weeds but a lot of cloudy stuff came out. I suspect this was either residue from baking soda, or from cottonwood "fluff" that blows into the pool. Replaced the filters and dropped it into the pool upside down (for first time).

Its been running great for last 30 minutes. It usually comes to a wall and stops. then reverses. Sometimes, it climbs half way out of the water (AG pool) and will run three feet before diving back down. Previously it would bob up and do gentle turn and get stuck. Now it gets about half way down and almost pushes gently away from the wall....gliding to the bottom. The key appears to be better suction (clean filter) and possibly no air bubbles. As it gets dirty, its effectiveness drops off. Make sure you clean after each use!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.