Is creaking normal with an Intex pool?

Jun 14, 2015
cape cod, ma
The T bars on our metal frame pool are really creaking when people move in the pool, is that normal?

It's freaking me out a bit, especially as a couple legs are not perfectly straight. They lean in very slightly. the pool is level (we checked!)

The T bars on our metal frame pool are really creaking when people move in the pool, is that normal?

It's freaking me out a bit, especially as a couple legs are not perfectly straight. They lean in very slightly. the pool is level (we checked!)
My 18' X 48" creaks when we have a lot of activity in the pool.

Dom

we removed all grass, leveled the dirt, then added 1/2" of sand and packed and packed. then leveled and left it while we got a huge rain storm, then leveled again.
then we put up landscaping border to 'contain' the sand. maybe I should put up pics. lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as it is level, it's most likely just fine... It is important that the legs are "set" evenly (relative to one another). Did you set the legs on pavers or anything solid?

Assuming your pool is level to within 1/4-1/2 inch... Here's an idea to help figure out if you have anything to worry about: try using a small carpenters ("bubble") level to check your top/horizontal rails... And then use it to check if the leg in question is vertical (think side-to-side as you stand directly in front of it. ) It's probably "kicked out" a little @ the bottom. They do that--It's normal... So it won't be vertical from front to back (as you face it). But you should still use the level to determine how much that leg is "kicked-out"... Then go around the pool with the level, and see if they are all equally tilted.

I think as long as you can confirm that the legs have all "set" the same*, and that the pool is level... Then if it were my pool, I'd feel reassured and safe. :goodjob: :swim:

This is personally my biggest pet-peeve re: Intex-type pools... The instructions tell you to assemble the pool in an area that is level. I think some models give parameters to tell you how level is "level enough." But they give zero guidance on how to best level an area, nor do they tell people the #1 way to help assure that the pool will set-up solidly: use pavers (or 1x10" wood plank pieces, if you're taking it down at the end of the season)under the legs... Making sure that every one of them is level compared to the others.

*the legs "set" as the pool fills & the weight of the water pulls on the top/horizontal rails... That force is then transferred to the legs which are in turn driven into the ground, or pavers, or whatever the pool is set-up on. This is what creates the stability in this type of pool. If the legs are not even, or if the ground isn't level, too much force will be placed on one or more legs, and not enough on others... Creating instability and the tendency for the pool to "walk" when the water shifts around in the pool as waves are created during play... If everything is even then the legs share the force and, although it may creak and jiggle... It won't walk.
If Intex explained the above as the reason why the ground must be level... People would understand why it's important to level everything meticulously, and watch how the legs are setting as the pool fills, making adjustments while the legs can still be moved.

Exactly the reason we aren't filling our new Intex when we aren't home or overnight. It's going to take longer, but we can keep an eye on it. Our old pool creaked when the boys would get wild in it, I think it's because the posts are interlocked pretty tightly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.