Leaks Everywhere...

May 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hi guys, so I am a new pool owner and have noticed slight leaking before around my pool, but now it's becoming more prominent and not sure where to go from here...

1. There is a leak somewhere in my pump or motor, I know because there's water around it after a few hours of the pump on. I think it's a leak at the shaft seal? The pump is a Pentair Hydropump single-speed 1HP and a Century Centurion switchless motor.

2. There is a leak somewhere above my return line. There is a platform above the return line and after the pump runs, water will slowly rise and there's a wet area (pictures). Also, by the end of the night, when I turn on the pool light, I can see bubbles all along the pool floor. If it matters I'm unsure the exact type of pool I have (the pool store thinks its vinyl).

I would appreciate your suggestions on what I should do. Will there be harsh consequences if I ignore these leaks for the rest of this summer season? If anyone has any knowledge about my pump, if its pretty old, would I be better off purchasing a new pump vs fixing the leak? Weather's been in the high 80-90s so I really don't want to stop using the pump and wasting all the work I did to slam the pool :(

2.jpg

Sorry to hear about your troubles. To be certain, you are sure the pump is leaking from inside huh? No chance it's from a drain plug by chance? The pump issue could certainly be a seal due to its age. Some people are big DIY'ers and do repairs on their own, others take the motor to a local shop for repair. The others simply chock it up to pools costs over time and get a new pump. I think the choice really will boil down to what's best for you at this time.

As for the water seepage from under the ground, that would appear to be a leak from the "pressure" side of the pool (after the pump returning to the pool). If there was a break in the line from the skimmer back to the pump, you would just get air in your system. So, what to do now? Is there any way to isolate those return lines/jets? Or does all of your water leave the filter and go back to the pool in just one line into the ground? I was hoping maybe you could re-route the water if you had that option.

If your water returns to the pool in just one line, ignoring it could cause more problems in terms of erosion. The leaking water could eventually compromise the supporting foundation areas around your pool. In addition, the leaky pipe could get worse and totally rupture at some point. It may require the assistance of someone to cut through that decking to evaluate how bad and where the pipe is leaking to repair it.

Certainly not what you want to hear. :( But hang tight and let's see what other forum members have to say. Someone else may have a better idea to get you through this season. I certainly wish you luck.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. To be certain, you are sure the pump is leaking from inside huh? No chance it's from a drain plug by chance? The pump issue could certainly be a seal due to its age. Some people are big DIY'ers and do repairs on their own, others take the motor to a local shop for repair. The others simply chock it up to pools costs over time and get a new pump. I think the choice really will boil down to what's best for you at this time.

As for the water seepage from under the ground, that would appear to be a leak from the "pressure" side of the pool (after the pump returning to the pool). If there was a break in the line from the skimmer back to the pump, you would just get air in your system. So, what to do now? Is there any way to isolate those return lines/jets? Or does all of your water leave the filter and go back to the pool in just one line into the ground? I was hoping maybe you could re-route the water if you had that option.

If your water returns to the pool in just one line, ignoring it could cause more problems in terms of erosion. The leaking water could eventually compromise the supporting foundation areas around your pool. In addition, the leaky pipe could get worse and totally rupture at some point. It may require the assistance of someone to cut through that decking to evaluate how bad and where the pipe is leaking to repair it.

Certainly not what you want to hear. :( But hang tight and let's see what other forum members have to say. Someone else may have a better idea to get you through this season. I certainly wish you luck.

Thanks for your reply.

Although I can't see where the water is directly dripping from, it's right between the motor and the pump. If I were to just let it be and eventually get a new pump, the worst thing that will happen is that the pump will just stop turning on correct?

Yes there is only one return line. Wow, that certainly doesn't sound good. If this leak were to lead to erosion in my foundation and ruptured pipes, could my pool potentially empty/flood my own or my neighbor's yards?

I'm thinking of calling a pool store and see how much repairs could cost. I'm currently having my pump run 8 hr/day, but constantly worried something will go terribly wrong while it continues to stay on :/

I would call a couple of pool service persons out and have them each examine the problem. Be there with them and ask questions -- If they diagnose a problem ask them how they would repair it. Get at least two views. If it is something you can do yourself then go for it if you have the skills.

Pool Pump repair is reasonable priced where I live -- There is a lot of volume -- they show up take your pump and bring it back and reinstall all for one price. Unless you are handy and have some tools then you probably want someone to look at the pump --

On the other hand you probably want to dump the pump and get a two speed --- that would seriously reduce your electric bills. Your utility may have a rebate program.

I'm going to second the concern about the leak. I would not ignore it -- especially with a vinyl pool. The danger isn't so much from a flood but from damage to the pool structure or plumbing. If you have metal walls and those rust away from your leak what is there to hold back the saturated soil?

There is a section in pool school on locating leaks I suggest you read it.

I would call several pool stores and get at least two guys out to look. The guys I like the best are not affiliated with a specific store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.