Old Filter Sand??

Tdog

Oct 26, 2007
Va Beach, VA
I am getting ready to replace my filter sand and laterals. Would it be OK to use the old sand as the base sand for a brick patio? I am an aggressive recycler! :lol: Anyone foresee any problems with this?

Also, how do I figure out how much sand I need?

Tdog,

No problemo on the recycle.

Most filters have a specific amount of "freeboard" (open space) that works best. So they typically specify )in pounds) the amount you should put in. It will say "250 lb capacity" or something like that.

Generally, it ends up being about 2/3 of the filter filled with sand. Check the website for your model and see what it says.

I have a follow-up question on that topic. I don't know when my filter sand was last cleaned/replaced, as I bought my house 3 years ago and it came with the pool. For the first time today, I opened the filter top and checked the sand. There was some residu in it, a bit like what you would find in cat litter - but smaller and, well, less disgusting! I was wondering what is recommended in terms of cleaning/replacing sand, when and how often should one do it. Note that last year, I did not have any cloudy water or sand in the water problem, and the filter seemed to work write. I just want to know if I should do something before the beginning of this season.

Cheers

I would do nothing. Most of us here on the forum are not advocates of changing sand......altho some more so than others.

My original sand is about 6 years old and I have no intention of changing it in my lifetime........I see no purpose. Others may disagree, but in my case, "It ain't broke, so........"

duraleigh said:
I would do nothing. Most of us here on the forum are not advocates of changing sand......altho some more so than others.

My original sand is about 6 years old and I have no intention of changing it in my lifetime........I see no purpose. Others may disagree, but in my case, "It ain't broke, so........"

I second duraleigh's comments. My sand is maturing at 21 years!

People who do replace their sand do so after 5 to 7 years. I don't normally replace sand unless something goes wrong and the sand is lost or seriously clumped.

I like to open the filter up every two or three years and use a fine mesh strainer to sift out the debris on the surface. I also check that the sand is not becoming clumped up. If your chemistry is too far out of balance, the sand can become clumped up and if the clumping gets so that you can't easily break the clumps up by hand the sand will need to be replaced.

Thanks to everyone. I will keep the sand but wash it.
This is really a great site. I joined last year on the advice of a friend and I will hopefully now run my pool trouble free for the entire summer. Just bought a SWG also, looking forward to hook it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BTW, I am one of those that does advocate changing the sand because the erosion from the water flowing over it rounds off the sand and it's the sharp corners that help catch dirt particles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.