How to backwash

Apr 27, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Everyone:

I recently bought a home with a pool. I'm trying to backwash the sand filter, but can't figure out how to do it because the backwash return isn't the standard one I've seen in pictures and videos. I have attached a couple pictures for reference. The black pipe closest to the wall is the backwash pipe and measures 5 inches in diameter. The other black pipe (closest to the camera) is, I believe, the sewer line. When I try to backwash, water just comes shooting out of the black pipe closest to the wall.

Can anyone tell me if they are familiar with this setup and how to backwash the pool? Obviously, the typical little blue backwash hose isn't going to fit around that 5 inch black pipe.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20150703_104908.jpg
    20150703_104908.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20150703_104925.jpg
    20150703_104925.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 33
Hard to say but it appears the black caps are just cleanouts to your sewer and backwash drain. If water is coming out of the first one on backwash then it tells me you may have a blockage. Open the cap and look down inside...does it look like the second cleanout feeds the first? Hopefully not...shouldn't tie backwash into septic. The backwash should dump out somewhere in your yard...try fishing a roti rooter down the cleanout to see if there is a blockage.

Hi Everyone:

I recently bought a home with a pool. I'm trying to backwash the sand filter, but can't figure out how to do it because the backwash return isn't the standard one I've seen in pictures and videos. I have attached a couple pictures for reference. The black pipe closest to the wall is the backwash pipe and measures 5 inches in diameter. The other black pipe (closest to the camera) is, I believe, the sewer line. When I try to backwash, water just comes shooting out of the black pipe closest to the wall.

Can anyone tell me if they are familiar with this setup and how to backwash the pool? Obviously, the typical little blue backwash hose isn't going to fit around that 5 inch black pipe.

Thank you!
attachment.php
That T-handle is the backwash valve. The waste line comes off the very bottom of it, like this:

attachment.php

A picture from the other angle would be helpful to see where that pipe runs. If it's just a hose barb and you have a blue vinyl backwash hose, then water the lawn with it and leave the sewer lines capped.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.