Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DuraPro M-16 Leafing Tool or Purity Pool Red Baron

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

DuraPro M-16 Leafing Tool or Purity Pool Red Baron

Anyone here have experience with the DuraPro M-16 Leafing tool made by Skimlite? I am very interested in this item, but want a little feedback before plopping down the bucks. Here's a link: http://skimlite.com/m16.html. I am particularly interested in durability and ease of use.

I am also interested in the Purity Pool Red Baron line of leaf rakes, too, if you have any input on those as well.

Thanks!
    15,323 gallon inground pool, Wetedge Primera Stone plaster, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntelliFlo 4x160 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch control panel, Pentair Kreepy Krauly. No spa, no heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DuraPro M-16 Leafing Tool or Purity Pool Red Baron

I like the red baron for it's durability. The whole thing is just sturdier than most leaf rakes.

I've never used the M-16 but it looks like it would be easy to deform the frame and easy to lose debris from since the bag is held open. A normal bag will essentially close itself as you draw the pole toward you and out of the water where this thing would be held open.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Thanks for the reply. You have the same concern that I have...that the bag appears to be held open all the time. I think I'm ordering the Red Baron because of its construction and options.
    15,323 gallon inground pool, Wetedge Primera Stone plaster, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntelliFlo 4x160 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch control panel, Pentair Kreepy Krauly. No spa, no heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I've had great success with the white plastic-framed deep net that they sell at Lowe's for about $10. The net is 18-24 inches deep and the sturdy frame holds up to some pretty heavy leaf loads. I've seen a similar one at Target under the Dirt Devil brand for around $13.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

Personally I have always been a fan of the Rainbow (Pentair) leaf rakes (both the 122 and 117, depending on whether you need the squeegee or not). Well made and long lasting under heavy use, IMHO.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I use Purity nets in my business. I have the Gator net. Its green. I've used the same net for 2 seasons. I am about to change the leading edge on it come spring. They are the best nets by far in the industry. I do also use Skimlite's poles. They are some of the best also! They don't last as long for me as the net does. Design flaw I guess.

Luke Pools
    caretaker of over 500,000 gallons of water weekly

www.youtube.com/lukepoolservice

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by lukepools
    ... I do also use Skimlite's poles. They are some of the best also!
    Which Skimlite pole do you use (and why)? My old Pentair aluminum pole's locking mechanism is worn out. Nothing like giving it a good push and it telescopes on you!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

#3008 from skimlite is what I use. Everything is internal, no external cams. The pole is like oval shaped and it locks with the other pole. Very nice and lightweight. Plus You won't break it like some other cheap poles from walmart.
    caretaker of over 500,000 gallons of water weekly

www.youtube.com/lukepoolservice