Bleach turned by water green

Jul 3, 2015
garden city
Hi everyone I just setup my pool yesterday (first timer first pool) I waited until this morning to do any testing before I added any chemicals ( I'm trying the bbb method ) this morning I added regular Clorox bleach as per the pool calculator and it Immediately turned the water green! I haven't added anything else yet I'm not sure What to do! Please help [emoji27]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Usually copper piping in a home is not a problem unless you've got some corroding for some reason. Can you put your state in your location? Is Garden City in South Carolina? The water quality report for Myrtle Beach says the source is rivers so it's unlikely to have metals in that tap water. If it was from wells, then there could be iron in which case if you have a blue liner the yellow on blue can look green.

Thanks, that makes a big difference. The Garden City (Idaho) Consumer Confidence Report 2014 says that your water comes from deep ground water wells and that your water contains 0.685 ppm copper which is pretty high. This document says "We also feed very low doses of polyphosphate to sequester minerals (Iron and Manganese) and keep your water clear." So it's possible you also have iron in that water.

So it sounds like you've got a lot of metal ions in your pool. The most direct way to deal with that is to filter the water when filling the pool or use trucked in water free of metals. With the metal already in your pool it's more complicated and expensive. You can use metal sequestrants to try and prevent coloring and staining but you need to replenish such sequestrants weekly. You could try and remove the metal from the water using a product such as CuLator but you'll need to contact the company if you go that route since it has not been straightforward enough with that product for us to recommend and walk people through its use (but the company has been responsive to special situations, but you need to contact them).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.