Strange heater activity

Jul 3, 2015
Newmarket/ont
Hi we have a Hayward h250 natural gas heater. Recently its started acting up. The pilot lights and stays lit, and the heater works for hours and hours. Then all of a sudden it is completely off and the pilot is out? I can relight the pilot and it works again for a long time, then mysteriously it completely shuts off again pilot and all. Suggestions? I had the rhermopile replaced and still the same issue.

Hi diman. I would look to be sure the thermocouple has a full flame on it. Check to see if it is completely pushed up into the pilot assembly. Check the pilot assembly to make sure the oriface is not full of spider webs or the such. Check to look for low gas flow and lastly the combo gas valve might be the issue.

Being a millivolt heater and the problem you are having I need to ask if it is very windy where you are located and is the heater up against a wall. There are high wind stacks available for these heaters. Wind could be an issue, I have seen it many times.

Ditto to the other responses. Make sure pilot assembly is clean. Make sure the oriface for the pilot burner is clear. Check gas pressure and all shutoff valves. Check for pinched wires in the wire harness. Check for any bad wire connections and or rodent chewing stuff. Last but not least, the gas valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.