leaking multiport valve

no-mas

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2008
FL
Hi all -
after backwashing yesterday, I notice that my multiport was behaving unusually. At my final rinse, I notice that my falls were running while the mpv was in rinse. I check at backwash, and it did the same, and if I run it with the valve at filter or recirc, I lose some water down the waste.

I presume a spider gasket will restore proper function? Do I lube it when replacing?
Thanks!

It certainly sounds like the multi is malfunctioning! Look at that, you already know the most probable problem and what needs to be done.

ALWAYS!!! lube a gasket or o-ring when you have access to it!

If you need any help with changing the spider gasket (a/k/a wagon wheel) the info is here and we'll be happy to reiterate it if you can't find the info with a search :thumleft:

** there is some debate over gluing the gasket in - I am against glue on o-rings or gaskets, but others say otherwise - read the arguments pro and con and decide what fits your comfort level 8) **

Hope you can quickly get the fix done and ever after have a trouble free pool!!

Thanks for the advice - after searching, I have another thought. I couldn't really remember how the handle felt before yesterday, but after reading the the spring may go bad, I think that is what has happened. I bought a gasket at the pool store yesterday, but when I got it home, it was slightly too small. While the valve was apart, I noticed that the existing gasket felt smooth, but the the handle seemed to engage the spring only at the very end of the throw - in other words, when I press it, I get very little resistance until it is almost fully pressed. Now I'm thinking the spring may be bad or something may be keeping it from working properly.

How difficult is it to disassemble/reassemble it? It is a pentair sidemount multiport for an fns plus filter.

Taking the diverter assembly apart to replace the spring is easy. Putting it back together, not so much, but doable. You'll have to compress the spring enough to put the handle pin back through, and that is a lot easier if you have a very strong assistant or some wood or padded clamps. Just keep an eye on how the handle is oriented with the diverter before you take it apart. There is nothing to stop you from putting it on facing the wrong direction.

Also be sure to replace the stem o-rings on the diverter when you replace the spring.

It's fairly unlikely that the spring on the multi is the cause. I would check the spider gasket and the channels it sits in first, before playing with the handle spring!

If everything is fine with the wagon wheel and channels and the handle may be the problem -

You have to still remove the top of the multi (as you did when checking the spider gasket). There is a pin that holds the handle on the assembly, knock it out with a punch or screwdriver. This gives you access to the shaft and spring. Having a new spring assembly on hand, the replacement is simple -- put the new one on in the same orientation as the old one came off - lube the new shaft o-rings and squeeze the unit together so that you can replace the pin you previously knocked out :) {this spring is very strong and you may need help compressing it enough to get the pin to fit back through the handle}

I can give you some advice on 'how to' do it, but will be away for a while, so I turn to my friend Tim (Spishex) to add on to this if you need the extra help.

*** Tim answered while I was, you wonder why I said he would be the one to go to if I wasn't here?? :) ***

Thanks to you both - I'll try the gasket and check the channels it sits in before going any further with the handle/spring assembly... and I'm totally with you regarding glue on that gasket. That would seem like a hassle!

Well - I think the darn thing came glued from the factory - :grrrr: it certainly doesn't come out easily. Any thoughts on how to safely and effectively get it out? What tools do you suggest?
Thanks!!

Be sure it's detached from the sides using a razor or a knife, then pull as much as you can by hand. I find the best way to remove the rest is to scrape it up with a sharp flathead screwdriver of roughly the same width, being careful not to damage walls of the track.

That thing was REALLY glued down! :grrrr: When I get frustrated, I also get aggressive, so I chickened out and called my pool builder - didn't think it would be warranty, but he said it's 3 years so they'll replace the gasket and top assembly tomorrow. I told him not to re-glue the gasket in place :roll:

Thanks to you both for your help, though!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.