Chlorine cost in Ontario

rbroh

May 12, 2014
Toronto area, Canada
I've been reading a lot of the cost comparison threads, and I feel like I may be doing something wrong with my calculations when I'm trying to figure out if my local pool store (Pioneer Pools in Kitchener, ON) is my best deal for chlorine.

I buy refillable 10L jugs (aprox 338 US oz) for $5.99/ea. I stop in at the store and they swap out my jugs with ones filled from a huge tank around back of the store that's labelled "Sodium Hypochlorite 12%". The deposit on the jugs was $5, but I started using these a few years ago and only have 2, so $10 over the amount of jugs I've swapped out over the years is pretty negligible. Since I have an SWG, I really only use this at the start of the season when I SLAM, and if I have to do a re-SLAM at any point during the season.

My cost calculation for 2 jugs (1 trip to the store) has been:

$11.98 / 676 oz / 0.12 (12% CL) = $0.148 per chlorine oz.

It seems like a simple calculation, but it's throwing me off that this comes out to be much cheaper than what most of the US members here are paying. And from experience with nearly everything else, Canada NEVER gets a deal vs our southern neighbours.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a method to test the true strength of this stuff with my TF100 kit?

Thanks,
Ryan

My chlorine costs around $4 per gallon for 12.5% so that would be $4 / 128 fl.oz. / 0.125 = $0.25 so is more expensive than yours, but my chlorine isn't the least expensive because it's more expensive where I live. Basically, you ARE getting a very good price for chlorine, most likely because you are getting them in 10 liter jugs (2.64 gallons) and they are refilling directly from a large tank.

The easiest way to test for chlorine strength is to do a 1:10,000 dilution. So that is most easily done with two 1:100 dilutions so take 10 ml of chlorine added to 990 ml of clean water (preferably without chlorine or chloramines, but it's not a big deal to use tap water for this), then mix thoroughly, then repeat using 10 ml of this water in 990 ml of clean water. You have to make sure your containers are very clean for this test. When you measure the FC level after these two dilutions, then it will be the same as the Trade % of your chlorinating liquid so in your case you should be measuring 12 ppm FC after the two dilutions.

I get the same results: $11.98 / 2 jugs / 338 oz per jug / 0.12 = $0.148. The best I've found in Oklahoma is $0.189 when on sale.

Maybe since it's colder up north chlorine lasts longer increasing supply, as well as fewer pools and shorter seasons decreasing demand.

I reached the same conclusion on the Chlorine price thread a while back. Liquid chlorine at Pioneer Pools is a good deal compared to most US prices. Also, in your calculation, you aren't adjusting for currency. When you do, it's an even better deal for us up here. Unusual for anything to be cheaper in Canada but there you go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.