Early Hour Pool Light Failure?

Jul 23, 2012
Cary, NC (Raleigh)
Our pool is brand new and only 2.5 years old. We have the standard 500W incandescent pool light in the deep end.

I went to turn it on last night for a swim and it came on briefly then just went off.

We rarely use the light, probably only has about 50-75 total hours of usage so far.

I checked all electrical issues and nothing wrong. GFI not tripped or tripping. Breaker is working just fine. I can hear the relay in the Hayward ProLogic box clicking on/off. There is voltage at the junction box. So it leaves me to think that the light has just burned out? But being rarely used is that reasonable?

I'm going to call our pool builder though and see what they can do to help us out. Whats the cost of a new bulb and gasket typically? It doesn't appear to hard to do myself and replace if its truly burned out.

Sounds like it burned out.
Incandescent bulbs go for about 40-50ish online I think.
Gaskets for about 20-25

Very easy DIY.
Most of them have 1 screw at the top of the light ring. Take that out, and the ring and fixure comes out of teh niche.
Put the fixtre on the deck (PB should have left enough cable coiled up in there to do this), take the fixure apart and replace the bulb.

To put the fixture back in, just reverse the process.

There are several YouTube videos on replacing bulbs that are useful to watch.

Hint. Replace the stock screw with a stainless steel socket head screw that uses a allen wrench. MUCH easier to then take the fixture out in future if you need to.
The stock phillips head screw as a tendency to strip out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.