Can I shock the pool this morning?

Apr 28, 2015
porter Tx
We are trying to get ready for the 4th. I have been slamming my pool for a week. Yesterday when it was time to vacuum, I got started and all to late realized my sand filter was blowing all the alge right back into my pool. We deep Cleaned the sand filter, and as of this am my ph is great, But I have zero chlorine. Can I shock it this am..(we always shock at night) and then vacuum again tomorrow? Thanks for the info!!

Above ground, vinyl liner,
15,000 gal.
Hayward pump, sand filter, TF 100 test kit
?

We are trying to get ready for the 4th. I have been slamming my pool for a week. Yesterday when it was time to vacuum, I got started and all to late realized my sand filter was blowing all the alge right back into my pool. We deep Cleaned the sand filter, and as of this am my ph is great, But I have zero chlorine. Can I shock it this am..(we always shock at night) and then vacuum again tomorrow? Thanks for the info!!

15,000 gal.

Yes, get some chlorine in there now. Don't let algae get a foothold. You say filter was blowing algae back into pool ?

I guess I would also ask what you mean by "shocking" your pool. If you've already been working on a SLAM for a week, shocking your pool, as I understand it will do nothing but add stabilized chlorine to your pool. Make sure your CYA levels aren't over the recommended levels or you will make your SLAM more difficult.

At 20 on my cya test I can still see the dot. Is there an alternate way to get my cya up other than using the stabilizer from the pool store and doing the 72 hour run on my pump????

15,000 gal.
?

you dont have to run the pump continually, but it helps speed the process up. The best way to speed it up though, is to squeeze the sock or bag, every once in a while and this helps get the CYA out of the sock and into the water. Ive added as much as 8 lbs in less than 6 hours by squeezing the sock a lot.

It will take a few days for it to show up on the test though.

At 20 on my cya test I can still see the dot. Is there an alternate way to get my cya up other than using the stabilizer from the pool store and doing the 72 hour run on my pump????

15,000 gal.
��

Yes, more here on adding chemicals to your pool, Recommended Pool Chemicals

Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. It is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and below shock level. FC should never be allowed to drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary, allow person to person disease transmission and algae growth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

15,000 gal.
��

Just a bit confused by the above (i.e. shocking only at night)... If you have been following the SLAM process for a week, haven't you been adding chlorine (bleach) multiple times during the day in order to maintain your free chlorine levels? Allowing the FC to get too low allows the algae to recover, and can make the whole SLAM process take much longer.

I was only shocking at night because of my consern of the sunlight eating it up, this idea was coming from some bad information I received last yr from the pool store. Before I found you all, and before I knew what cya was. When we moved here last yr, the previous owner had the pool for 15 yrs and told us, all I ever use are these test strips, you don't have to worry about anything besides chlorine and PH. ??? I am learning so much from you all, thank you so much! I shocked the pool this am.

15,000 gal.
?

Can you share your test results, perhaps from the last few days, to give some insight into how the SLAM is coming along?

About how often during the day are you testing FC and CC, and how often are you adding bleach now? As you probably are realizing from reading on this site, it is very important to maintain FC levels during a SLAM (shock level and maintain).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.