I am having a heck of a time sealing my pipes.

keithw

Mar 30, 2007
Virginia Beach
I am almost embarrassed to post this but it is killing me. I installed a new pump and filter this weekend. At the points where I have to screw the 1 1/2" pipe into both the pump and the filter, I have small dripping leaks. I have unscrewed and rescrewed these connections a few times each and still cannot seem to get rid of the really small leaks. I am using standard pipe tape and I am tightening the Crud out of the adapter! Any suggestions? I have heard mention of "pipe dope". What is it? Does it work better?

Hi, Keith,

Absolutely use pipe dope. Any HD or Lowes will have it in plumbing. I think it's true name might be "thread sealant."

Take the teflon off and remove all of it from the threads. Place a nice even layer of "dope" on the male threads and I bet it'll seal first time you try it.

It normally comes in a squeeze tube for a small amount and in cans if you need a ton of it (you don't).

I use it on every pvc connection larger than 1" and have had very good luck.....it's cheap, too ($1-2)

A second vote on the pipe dope. Just make sure you get the kind for plastic pipe, as the type for steel pipe can cause a plastic fitting to crack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.