White powder stuff at bottom of pool

Jul 28, 2014
el paso tx
I have vacuumed, put algaecide, more shock nothing makes this go away. I have drained pool and am going to scrub it down tomorrow. I am afraid this stuff will come back, does any one know what this stuff is? When I drained the pool the dirt even got white. The water was hazy then the white powder appeared when the problem started. I am afraid this stuff is in the sand filter and connecting tubs I really need help. The pool stores had no idea of what the white powder was. I really need help....

Hi Mary, and welcome to the forum! :wave:

Can you tell us a little more about what type of pool you have, and if you know, what kind of filter is on the pool? Also, what else has been going on? Did the pool go Green with Algae, and hence the reason for the Algaecide addition? Sorry to hit you only with questions, but we can help you out once we get a little more information.

Could be dead algae. Sand filters sometimes have a hard time removing that.

Also, you might want to add your pool information to your signature to help us in the future. Please read this: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

I second the dead algae possibilty. My Hayward cartridge filter has a hard time removing algae. It just cycles back into the pool unless I use a filter bage to catch it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I second the dead algae possibilty. My Hayward cartridge filter has a hard time removing algae. It just cycles back into the pool unless I use a filter bage to catch it.
A cartridge filter should be all to capture algae fairly well (2x more effective than sand) so you might want to look for any defects in the filter.

The water was cloudy and could not get it to clear, so I finally just drained pool. I scrubbed the pool yesterday. My next question is should I drain the sand and put new one in. As you can tell this is all new to me I have no idea if will get the problem back when I fill and start the pump. Your help is greatly appreciated. I am a grandma trying to get the pool looking good and safe for grandkids.

The water was cloudy and could not get it to clear, so I finally just drained pool. I scrubbed the pool yesterday. My next question is should I drain the sand and put new one in. As you can tell this is all new to me I have no idea if will get the problem back when I fill and start the pump. Your help is greatly appreciated. I am a grandma trying to get the pool looking good and safe for grandkids.
Next time put a little DE into your filter and it should help clear out the dead algae.

Both cartridge filters and sand filter become better filters as they get dirty. Have some type of flocking agent to help bring the small particles together helps. Cleaning or backwashing a sand and cartridge filter continuously prevents it from getting dirty and becoming a better filter. Let it rise 8-10 lbs before cleaning.

Both cartridge filters and sand filter become better filters as they get dirty. Have some type of flocking agent to help bring the small particles together helps. Cleaning or backwashing a sand and cartridge filter continuously prevents it from getting dirty and becoming a better filter. Let it rise 8-10 lbs before cleaning.

Most AG pumps tend to have low flat head curves so will never reach a 8-10 PSI rise and if you try to reach that pressure rise, the pump's flow rate may reduce so much that there is very little water being filtered. A 10 PSI rise, is an EXTRA 23' of head above the operating point. Some high head pumps can handle that, but many other's cannot.

For this reason, the forum team has decide not to recommend a one size fits all pressure rise for filters that manufactures have unwisely decided to follow. Instead, we recommend a max 25% PSI rise from clean pressure when determining when to clean a filter. This way it is proportional to the clean filter operating point and will avoid severely restricting a pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.