The husband finally let me take over and I don't want to blow it!!

dakemi

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2015
Honolulu/HI
I was on a different heading until the forum "crash" so i got back on this heading, thought it was more appropriate.
So to pick up where I left off, per TFP advice, I am trying to maintain an FC of 10 until I can SLAM the pool after the July 4th BBQ. Unfortunately I don't think i'm testing FAS/DPD correctly. I read JasonLoion's extended test thread and tried to drop and swirl simultaneously but I still don't get how to read the results. I see no pink after the first drop if I keep swirling but if I let it sit for 10 seconds or so a pink "haze" seems to appear. JasonLion says to drop one second or so apart but I do that drops 2,3,4,5,6 etc seem the same. I would say that means I only have .5 FC but I had just put 161 ounces of chlorine an hour prior and according to pool math it should have raised the FC from6 to 10 (I thought I had a 6 FC but I think I misread the test results)
Could I be color blind to pink? Also, the water sample remains cloudy but I understand that's permissable. HELP!!! I'm a moron!!!!

Sounds like you are doing it correctly and the FC is near zero. Did you do the CC portion of the test?

Something must be consuming the FC quickly. What is your CYA?

What size water sample are you using and how much powder?

You dont mention the powder. Where is the powder?

PUt 10ml of water in the tube, and swirl. If you have chlorine, the water will turn pink/ red. The more FC you have, the redder it will be.
Then add drops, one drop at a time until it turns clear. Multiply drops by .5, and that is your FC.

If the water is no longer pink after 1 drop, then you have 1 or less FC, as you suspect.

I was on a different heading until the forum "crash" so i got back on this heading, thought it was more appropriate.
So to pick up where I left off, per TFP advice, I am trying to maintain an FC of 10 until I can SLAM the pool after the July 4th BBQ. Unfortunately I don't think i'm testing FAS/DPD correctly. I read JasonLoion's extended test thread and tried to drop and swirl simultaneously but I still don't get how to read the results. I see no pink after the first drop if I keep swirling but if I let it sit for 10 seconds or so a pink "haze" seems to appear. JasonLion says to drop one second or so apart but I do that drops 2,3,4,5,6 etc seem the same. I would say that means I only have .5 FC but I had just put 161 ounces of chlorine an hour prior and according to pool math it should have raised the FC from6 to 10 (I thought I had a 6 FC but I think I misread the test results)
Could I be color blind to pink? Also, the water sample remains cloudy but I understand that's permissable. HELP!!! I'm a moron!!!!

Good morning and welcome back! I remember your first post before the web problems. Nice to see you have the TF-100. :goodjob: So first of all let me say, don't be so hard on yourself. :calm:. We'll help you. After you've watched the video above, please post the following numbers for us: (FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, and CH). We'll help you through the entire process.

Good morning, and thank you for all the replies! You refered to a vieo? Did you post a link on your reply because I didn't see one, or if not, where do I go to see it?

Answers to above questions:
water sample size is 10 ml
powder is heaping
powder is first, does not turn dark pink so I guess FC is really low
FC=1.5
CC=.5
CYA=40
pH=6.8-7.2 closer to 6.8
TA=90
CH=750

Thank you Leebo, when I refreshed the page I saw the video. I watched and I'm doing exactly the same so I guess I have 1.5 FC no matter how much chlorine I add. But I do have a lot of algae staining so am I correct in assuming that that is whats causing the continuous low FC reading? Why would the CC be so low (.5), I started at 2.5 last week.
Just keep adding chlorine? I put in #s in pool math and get 358 oz. Sound right?

- - - Updated - - -

Correct that, 326 oz

Actually I did to the daily (OTO) test and it also registered only a little darker than 1, I think I'll come out of denial now and accept that I have low FC (lol).

BTW, my husband bet me that we can't get rid of the algae stains unless we drain the pool (pool store lady and know it all neighbor who doesn't have a pool told him so) but from what I'm reading draining the pool is a solution for very high CYA and should not be done in an area of low water table (that's us in Reno, NV). So is he right that we can't get rid of the stains?
I've been brushing daily and for a while I thought I saw improvement but its kinda leveled out. Is that the best I can get it? (FYI the pool started out green and very poor visibility and now its blue and much clearer)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HELP!! Trying to get FC to 10 but can't get over 2!! I think I'm testing correctly, watched the video and reread instructions carefully, but here are my results, can this be correct??
On 7/3@1:30 pm FC=.5, CC=2.0 added 363 oz Clorox
On 7/3@6:00 pm FC=1.0, CC=3.5 added 363 oz Clorox
On 7/3@9:00 pm FC=3.0, CC=1.0 added 363 oz Clorox

On 7/4@6:00 am FC=2.0, CC=.5 added 363 oz Clorox
On 7/4@7:00 an FC= 1.5 CC= 2.5 ???? This is the result I'm confused about. Is that possible? should I retest? How do I get FC to 10? Much less 16 starting tonight? I will be adding 5+ jugs of bleach multiple times a day. Is that right? My husband is getting concerned about all the Clorox going into the pool.
HELP!!!!

When posting there is a little tree button on the tools above where you type. You can link from other photo sharing sites

- - - Updated - - -

With patience and some diligence we can beat this problem. Your chlorine isn't going up because something in that water is consuming it. Eventually it will go up and stay up but you have to keep up on testing and adding as needed. Keep your filter running all the time and brush brush brush

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Pics in order: shallow end botttom (kiddie pool), shallow end (3'), from diving board (8') from deep end. Sorry, cloudy day and lots of glare.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,554
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,573
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,548
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,561
HELP!! Trying to get FC to 10 but can't get over 2!! I think I'm testing correctly, watched the video and reread instructions carefully, but here are my results, can this be correct??
On 7/3@1:30 pm FC=.5, CC=2.0 added 363 oz Clorox
On 7/3@6:00 pm FC=1.0, CC=3.5 added 363 oz Clorox
On 7/3@9:00 pm FC=3.0, CC=1.0 added 363 oz Clorox

On 7/4@6:00 am FC=2.0, CC=.5 added 363 oz Clorox
On 7/4@7:00 an FC= 1.5 CC= 2.5 ???? This is the result I'm confused about. Is that possible? should I retest? How do I get FC to 10? Much less 16 starting tonight? I will be adding 5+ jugs of bleach multiple times a day. Is that right? My husband is getting concerned about all the Clorox going into the pool.
HELP!!!!

Everyone, I think her CYA has turned to ammonia, What does everyone think...

If you have ammonia it will take a lot of bleach until it starts holding chlorine.. If this is the case you can go to a pet store that sells fishies and get an ammonia test to confirm.. the best way everyone has been doing it is test every hour and add bleach... if your FC only goes to 2 in an hour add the amount to get it to you SLAM level..

you are starting to see CC so that is good, it will go up before it startes holding FC and the the CC will go down..

Your not at a bad starting point. Don't fear the bleach it's not going to harm anyone if it's below slam level. A jug of bleach is mostly water, the chlorine gets used up quickly.

bleach is still the answer, just much more than normal :( you will know when its gone, your FC will start going up and you will be able to take it to SLAM level

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.