The husband finally let me take over and I don't want to blow it!!

It certainly sounds like it could possibly be ammonia that is consuming the chlorine. Although all too often we tend to attribute things that we arent quite understaningh, to other things that we havent fully resolved either.

Will Edit this post when I find what Im looking for regarding either confirming or eliminating ammonia as the culprit for consuming so much FC.

Dakemi,
Im going to ask you some questions which will help us try and determine if you have ammonia or not and eliminate or at least partially confirm it. Essentially, ammonia in a pool is caused from FC going to 0 for a day or more, which allows some bacteria to grow. Some of species of bacteria consume CYA, and that exchange results in ammonia being formed. So..

Prior to the last few days when you took over, was the FC at 0 or a day or more?
If so, do you have an idea of how long?

Earlier in this thread, you reported your CYA at 40.
1. Did you use a Taylor or TF 100 test kit to measure that? OR was your CYA 0 and you used Pool Math to add enough CYA to get to that level?

2. If the answer to the question above is that you measured the CYA, then can you please test CYA again, and provide that result for us?

Then what I want you do to is...
Add enough bleach per pool math to get you to SLAM level. (Have your pump running the whole time.)
Then 10 minutes later, test the FC and report back what the FC is.
If your FC has dropped from slam level (for example 16), by 50%, which would be 8FC in 15 minutes, then that pretty much confirms you have ammonia. Nothing else that we know of except ammonia consumes FC as quickly as ammonia does.

Getting back to us after 3 PM will be fine.

Dave, I was thinking the same, was not quite sure but I think if she can get an ammonia test we can confirm or deny what is happening

yeah,
You're right. It does seem like this has been somewhat prolific this year. But its a head scratcher as to why.

Thats why I want to be careful in approaching what is happening here. It seems whenever something unique like having an ammonia problem pop up, then all of a sudden tons of people start to think they have it. Some surely do, but we would rather be sure whenever these unique situations do pop up, so that an appropriate set of criteria can be gathered and then provide an appropriate response.

In any case though, I think whether the issue is ammonia or not, the solution is still going to be add chlorine until whatever it is, is gone.

If it is ammonia there sure has been a lot of those cases this year.

I agree with Dave, I remember Wirthlin having a similar problem and I mentioned ammonia. He got an ammonia test kit and it was zero. I felt bad sending the conversation that direction, but I guess it was going to be adding bleach either way. I know being new here I find I tend to fixate on a problem sometimes. :hammer:

Either way Dakemi, These folks will have you on the right track in no time. And you will get so good at it, you can ask your husband, "who's the moron now ?"

hmmm........... Don't tell my wife I just said that ! :oops:

I'm on my lunch and read all the post. Thank you so much. Very informative. I'll call Walmart and see if they have an ammonia kit in their pet dept. from what I'm reading a better by 24 jugs of bleach, and for sure I'll check the production date!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, earlier when I posted pictures, I don't know what I did wrong but the pictures posted twice and a pop-up came up saying that I've exceeded my quota, so I can no longer post pictures. Is there a way to get around that? Because earlier I was asked to post a picture of the pool. (Don't know if that's still relevant)

download your pics to photobucket..

then make a post,

then go back to photobucket and click on the image you want and enlarge it.
to the rigght of the pic, you will see IMG code. Click on IMG and the code will copy to the clipboard.
Then come pack and paste the code into your post.
when you click the submit button, the pic will show up.

Also, earlier when I posted pictures, I don't know what I did wrong but the pictures posted twice and a pop-up came up saying that I've exceeded my quota, so I can no longer post pictures. Is there a way to get around that? Because earlier I was asked to post a picture of the pool. (Don't know if that's still relevant)

- - - Updated - - -

Dont worry about the ammonia test kit. We really dont think we need it.

I'm on my lunch and read all the post. Thank you so much. Very informative. I'll call Walmart and see if they have an ammonia kit in their pet dept. from what I'm reading a better by 24 jugs of bleach, and for sure I'll check the production date!

Sorry, don't know what a photo bucket is.....need step by step.
Anyway, sorry for the delay, got our 2 year old grandson unexpectedly and he loves to shadow me, can't get anything done by the pool with him around.
Already got the amonia test, probably not very accurate but it tested 3.0 (said "harmful level").
At 4:30pm FC=.5, CC=2.0
I purchased 20 121oz jugs of Clorox, haven't done anything yet because my husband does not believe anything further can be done about the algae stains (I tried to explain to him that I want to kill the algae so it doesn't come creeping back as it has been, he thinks shock will do it....even though it hasn't in the past) He thinks we've spent too much on Clorox (about 55 total, 32 used, 20 purchased today) for a lost cause, he says the stains will never go away. Anyway, he says this is IT, no more buying clorox so whatever I do, it HAS to work. So PLEASE give me your best advise, ask me whatever info you need, and thank you!!!

To answer Divin Dave's questions from earlier today:
I actually "took over" about a week before Father's Day. I didn't have the TF100 kit so I used an old test kit I found in the pump room. It never tested "0" but pretty low. My husband had been taking water samples to the pool store and purchased shock but it was green and getting greener.
Yes, I used the TF100 test kit to measure CYA.
Yes, I used pool math to add enough CYA to get from 30 to 40. (Took about 3 days with CYA in a sock in the skimmer basket)
I retested CYA and its 40.
Should I add enough bleach to get to slam level (per pool math) then test that it is actually there? If so, how long should I wait after adding the bleach to see if its at SLAM level? Then test 10 minutes later?

He thinks we've spent too much on Clorox (about 55 total, 32 used, 20 purchased today) for a lost cause, he says the stains will never go away. Anyway, he says this is IT, no more buying clorox so whatever I do, it HAS to work. So PLEASE give me your best advise, ask me whatever info you need, and thank you!!!

You're in a tough situation! Bleach is what you need and you will need lots of it...ammonia consumes bleach like no other!

I SO understand where you are coming from. My husband noticed all of the times I went to ACE to get my chlorine jugs filled last summer. "This is a bit obsessive." Well, dear one, IF you want your pool clear, clean and safe that is what it is going to take. I did not have ammonia.I just had LOTS of sun and heat that was eating my chlorine. For some reason you have neven notice how often I get the jugs filled so...........

Tell your husband it is NOT about the stains anymore. They may be there when it is all said and done. NOW it is about safe water for the Grandchild! Balanced water is safe water. A FC of 1 is NOT balanced so it is not safe.

HUGS!

Kim

Shock will add to your cya. A bag of shock costs way more than a couple of bottles of bleach. We need to kill the ammonia in that pool asap, and bleach is the way.

Hi Dakemi,
Unfortunate that your husband doesnt understand chemistry. The chlorine will work but will take a lot of it to get rid of ammonia.
Ultimately, you two will have to make the decision to proceed with chlorine, or drain and refill.
I wish I could tell you how much chlorine it will take, but cant. Too many variables to calculate it accuratetely.

Powdered shock is only going to make matters worse by adding stuff other than chlorine to the pool.
Regardless of pool store hype and what he may read online, there are no magic potions.

If you decide to go forward, here is how to proceed.
Add chlorine to get to slam level of 16.

Wait 10 minutes and test again
Record the FC level
Record the CC level
then add enough bleach to get back to 16.

Keep testing and adding bleach every 10 minutes
Record teh FC and CC level each time

Please post your test results here as often as you can today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.