SWG question - Add to floor popup line or return line?

trbvm

Jun 8, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
So, our PB is adding the Hayward T-Cell-15 to our plumbing (plumbing is completed). We have two pipes going to the pool - one goes to the in-floor popups and the other to the returns.
He recommends adding the cell to the pipe that feeds the in-floor popups - says it will ensure all chlorine goes into the deep water and mixes well. He says it is better not to put this in the line that feeds the returns, since chlorine will be in more 'shallow' water.

Any advice on this? Logically he sounds correct, though.

I would say it doesn't matter. The SWG does not chlorinate water in the same manner as adding bleach and would not leave "pockets" of high concentrations of chlorine that needed to mix. The only question I have is what if want you turn off the in-floor pop-ups? Does that mean you can only chlorinate the pool with the SWG if the in-floor cleaning system is on? Why doesn't he install it so either returns chlorinated water to the pool?

I would say it doesn't matter. The SWG does not chlorinate water in the same manner as adding bleach and would not leave "pockets" of high concentrations of chlorine that needed to mix. The only question I have is what if want you turn off the in-floor pop-ups? Does that mean you can only chlorinate the pool with the SWG if the in-floor cleaning system is on? Why doesn't he install it so either returns chlorinated water to the pool?

He says that there is not much space to install prior to the 'branch off' to the two areas. According to him, the infloor popups will run 90% of the time to ensure the bottom is clean and is a good way to deliver chlorine. I was insisting that he put this prior to the branching, but there is not much room. Some plumbing rework is necessary to accomplish this, which I think he is trying to avoid.

There is a reason you have returns. If you can't use the SWG without using the pop ups, what purpose do the returns serve? The cell should be installed before the returns branch off. Will it work if installed just on the pop up side....yes, but then you could never chlorinate the pool when using the returns.

There is a reason you have returns. If you can't use the SWG without using the pop ups, what purpose do the returns serve? The cell should be installed before the returns branch off. Will it work if installed just on the pop up side....yes, but then you could never chlorinate the pool when using the returns.
Thanks Chief.. will talk to the PB tomorrow.

He recommends adding the cell to the pipe that feeds the in-floor popups - says it will ensure all chlorine goes into the deep water and mixes well. He says it is better not to put this in the line that feeds the returns, since chlorine will be in more 'shallow' water.
Don't pool builders know that Jedi mind tricks don't work on people that belong to TFP? :bowdown:(Okay...I made that up).

Regardless, I wonder how long it took him to come up with that silly excuse?

I have return valves that allow me to return water either through the cleaning system, side returns on the pool, to a fountain in the spa, or side returns in the spa for spill over into the pool. My SWG cell is located just before these valves. That required them to create a separate loop just for installing the cell. Best practice is plumbing so that all return water can be chlorinated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The returns are completely redundant in a pool with in floor cleaning. Both, A&A and Paramount recommend against installing a separate return loop - its not needed. The in floor heads will always pop up, regardless of whether pump is running on high or low speed (although they will just barely pop up to release the water on low speed). The in floor system are essentially returns.

In other words, there is absolutely no reason to have a return loop seperate from in floor. The water should always run through the infloor - it is a superior way to sanitize the pool.

sounds like your PB didn't leave enough room in his plumbing to install the cell in the correct location and is using excuses to avoid cutting out and re-doing PVC. have him plumb it so that the cell is feeding all the returns (not just the floor pop ups or return jets), i.e. before the line splits. its going to be more work for him at this point, but that's not your problem. he should have thought about that before he installed all the pipes. besides, 2" PVC is cheap. you are spending a lot of money on a pool, get it right the first time.

L
The returns are completely redundant in a pool with in floor cleaning. Both, A&A and Paramount recommend against installing a separate return loop - its not needed. The in floor heads will always pop up, regardless of whether pump is running on high or low speed (although they will just barely pop up to release the water on low speed). The in floor system are essentially returns.

In other words, there is absolutely no reason to have a return loop seperate from in floor. The water should always run through the infloor - it is a superior way to sanitize the pool.

I would never build a pool with only pop ups for returns. If I ever had a leak in the many, many return lines running to all those pop ups, I could, in a pinch, abandon the cleaning system and use side returns. Much like my previous pool that had a leak in the main drain plumbing and I abandoned it to use only skimmers. Without side returns, the only option would be to tear up the bottom of the pool to repair a leak. When planning a pool, generally the more options you consider, the better. I have four different ways to return water to the pool and four separate suction lines. All have valves for individual control. I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, I kind of wish my two skimmers had individual runs and valves, as opposed to being plumbed together with a diverter in the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.