R-0011L indicator?

SCCS

Sep 28, 2008
Left coast
On the R-0011L Calcium indicator liquid is the fluid kinda thick or has my gone bad? I don't rememberwhat it was like when I first got it. I've only had it about 6 months and has been stored in a cabinet in my garage, so it has not been exposed to sunlight or in extreme temp's.

I left my kit outside for a couple of days and had a similar observation. The temps were lows in the mid-40's to highs in the mid-60's; mid-60 when I did the test. The indicator came out sort of syrup-like and pooled on the bottom. Hadn't seen that before. I went ahead and did the test and it worked same as usual, meaning I got the result I expected. I did, however, have to mix it a little longer before starting the test.

Was your garage temperature in that range by chance? Or is it heated? If it's heated, none of this is relevant, of course.

I assumed that this was just a temperature effect on the viscosity, but that the test was still okay. But I'm curious what others say. I don't know much about these things.

Gary

gtm

My garage is not heated but stay's fairly stable in temp. Running from the 40's in the winter to the 80's in the summer. I do have the same results that you do. It will pool in the bottom and extra mix time is needed.

The R-0011L is pretty thick even at room temperature. To my knowledge, the viscosity is irrelevant to the accuracy of the test.

As an aside, I would rather see your test kit in a controlled environment (inside) rather than in the garage. I believe it increases the longevity of all the chemistry. :)

(PS - I guess if I was completely candid, my first choice for test kit storage would be a 450 degree oven.......my refill business would be phenomenal!! :shock: :shock: )

Taylor stresses that stable temperatures are important for long term storage of reagents. Recommended storage temperatures are between 36°–85° F, with lower temperatures being better. However, you don't want the temperature fluctuating a lot. For example a test kit should not be stored in the fridge and taken out and put back in regularly. That would be worse than storing it at the higher end of the temperature range. See this Taylor document for more information.

Dave, viscosity was probably the wrong word. I was thinking about how quickly it would mix with the pool water. There's very likely a better description for what I was seeing.

Jason, I think we're at the low end of the proper storage range, but I haven't read the Taylor link that you cited. I just wonder if having the reagent at the lower end of the range might affect the mixing time. Just thinking out loud, though.

SCCS - listen to these guys. I'm a rookie! Just trying to help.

Remember that to do this test properly takes a LOT of swirling (about 20 seconds after the calcium buffer, enough swirling to mix the indicator, and 20 -30 seconds between EACH drop of titrant)! This is one test that a magnetic stirrer really helps speed up!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.