What bleach to get?

May 21, 2015
Houston
HI,

I am new to using bleach and wanted to switch to using bleach rather than shocking. I have read on the forum that bleach is better sine it does not add other stuff to the pool. I went to Walmart today and got the great value bleach which is 8.25% but it also states other ingredients as 91% which I have no idea about. Would it be fine to use this one? Can someone with more experience please post a link to the bleach that they have been using. Thank you for the help.

Bleach and chlorinating liquid are the same except for concentration so if you find chlorinating liquid at a better price then that is also fine to use. You can roughly compare them by dividing the concentration (%) by the number of fluid ounces and choose the one that is less expensive.

For bleach, you want to get unscented regular (but may be "concentrated") bleach that is not splash-less, outdoor, etc. The Great Value bleach at Walmart that is 8.25% is good to use and competes (at a lower price) with Clorox bleach. The 91% is just water and salt so nothing to worry about.

Just to add my experience as a newbie in the past week:

Walmart Great Value - 8.25% - $2.59/121 oz is what I used to SLAM and it worked great
Harris Teeter 101 Bleach - 3 - 5% - $1.89/121 oz - I had to find the MSDS sheet on this stuff as the concentration isn't listed anywhere on the bottle. It's significantly weaker and a waste of $
Chlorox - 6% - My experience is different than chem geek's in that the bottle of plain Chlorox bleach is 6% not 8.25%, so diligently check the concentrate if you use Chlorox name brand as evidently it can vary

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorox - 6% - My experience is different than chem geek's in that the bottle of plain Chlorox bleach is 6% not 8.25%, so diligently check the concentrate if you use Chlorox name brand as evidently it can vary

If this is in the U.S. and it says 8.25% on the bottle but your measurements show it to be lower, then tell your store that and call Clorox because it should not be that low. In Canada they don't list the percentages and the Clorox may be lower in concentration.

As shown in the chart in this post, even 8.25% bleach will break down over time especially at higher temperatures. However, for 8.25% bleach to get to 6%, it would need to be at 75ºF for nearly 6 months, though at 87ºF for only 2 months.

Our local Walmart has HTH liquid (128oz @ 10%) for $3.25, actually 2 jugs for $6.50.
Some of the bleaches are 121oz @ 8 1/2%.
So you need to do a little math to find the best value.
I'd have to find 121 oz 8.5% for less than $2.60 to beat the HTH price.

128 x .01 = 12.8 oz of actual chlorine
121 x .085 =10.3 oz of actual chlorine
10.3 / 12.8 = .80
$3.25 x .80 =$2.61

Does the Great Value state the percentage on the bottle?
I have great value at my walmart here in Canada and the percentages are not listed :(

Yes...here in the states it says 8% on the bottle...do not get the great value cleaning bleach...it is only 6% and more expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

If this is in the U.S. and it says 8.25% on the bottle but your measurements show it to be lower, then tell your store that and call Clorox because it should not be that low. In Canada they don't list the percentages and the Clorox may be lower in concentration.

As shown in the chart in this post, even 8.25% bleach will break down over time especially at higher temperatures. However, for 8.25% bleach to get to 6%, it would need to be at 75ºF for nearly 6 months, though at 87ºF for only 2 months.

It says 6% on the bottle of clorox brand bleach we had handy in our laundry room. So what I was reminding the op is that just because it says clorox don't assume it's 8%.

The Clorox 6% is probably older. Clorox switched from 6% to 8.25% in 2012/2013 as noted in this blog post and this Clorox announcement. Your point is well taken that one should look at the concentration specified on the label and not assume.

By the way, if the bleach you have in your laundry room is 2 years old, then the original 6.15% at room temperature (72ºF) would now be only 3.95%.

Is anyone else having trouble finding the Great Value or Clorox beach at the 8.25% strength? All I am able to find this season is the 6% in both brands. I am having to add almost daily, when last year with the 8.25% I only had to add bleach every three days. I did buy some 10% at Lowe's but it looked very old and was gone the very next day after adding the prescribed amount given on the pool calculator.
Thanks!

30 ppm cya
7.8 ph

Household bleach is getting very hard to find that does not have additives. Some say Walmart has a 'Cleaning Bleach' but it is 6%

Walmart does carry Pool Essentials liquid chlorine. It is 10%.
Check dates - There is a number 18XXX on the bottle. The XXX represents the number of days in 2018 the bottle was filled. Look for stuff less than a couple months old.

I am surprised you could go 3 days without adding chlorine with a CYA of 30 ppm. I would strongly suggest doing it daily.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.