Can the Intellitouch i7 control outdoor low voltage lighting

Sep 11, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I'm wondering if I should run conduit for low voltage outdoor lighting to the Intellitouch panel before the equipment goes in. Maybe with my future landscaping plans, I could at some point be using up to 3 different outdoor lighting circuits.

Can the Intellitouch i7 control the outdoor low voltage lights? If so, how would I get the proper voltage? Does Pentair have accessories for this, such as the transformer to get the proper voltage?

If I have to supply the transformer, could the transformer be mounted in the panel, or would I have to connect the transformer to an outlet first, then send the low voltage output to the Intellitouch load center?

TIA,
John

Yes, your Intellitouch can control your low voltage lighting. You will need a transformer, and that is part of your low voltage lighting system. 110 power into the transformer, and 12v (I assume you are using 12v lighting) out of the transformer. If you think about how the auxillaries are mounted in the I7+3, they are just "relays". Source power in, and application power out to the equipment. Line-Load.

If you run the 12v power from the transformer's output side into the "Line" terminal of the (spare) aux, and then run another low voltage wire back to the 12v control for the lighting (from the "load" side of the aux), the relay will actuate when you press that aux button.

Consult the Pentair website for manuals for the Power Center Installation manual, or call Pentair for tech advice. I don't think Pentair contemplates installation of an additional transformer in it's Power Center...just run wires.

budster said:
Yes, your Intellitouch can control your low voltage lighting. You will need a transformer, and that is part of your low voltage lighting system. 110 power into the transformer, and 12v (I assume you are using 12v lighting) out of the transformer. If you think about how the auxillaries are mounted in the I7+3, they are just "relays". Source power in, and application power out to the equipment. Line-Load.

If you run the 12v power from the transformer's output side into the "Line" terminal of the (spare) aux, and then run another low voltage wire back to the 12v control for the lighting (from the "load" side of the aux), the relay will actuate when you press that aux button.

I also am interested in doing 2-3 circuits through the 'i7' controller. If I get a seperate transformer and hook up the 12v output through the relays, will the transformer always be on trying to drive the lights even if the relay is off? How are the lighting transformers usually switched? Does the transformer turn on /off is the power cut at the 110 side or is it switched at the 12v side as the 'i7' would do.

Can three leads from a single transformer be switched separately by three relays?

Thanks for educating me on this!

Steve

From what I understand, the output from the relay is 120v. So that would feed the high side of the transformer either directly or through a switched outlet. If you want to control 3 circuits independently, each circuit would need its own relay. Anyway, that's the feedback I've been getting so far.

Let me know what you find out. I'm weeks away, if not months, from getting to that point.

Each relay has both input and output connectors. Normally the inputs are all wired to to 110 volts, but it is simple enough to wire them to the output of the low voltage transformer instead. That allows you to have several relays allocated to controlling lights and still have just one (larger) transformer. You can have the relays switch 110 volts and use separate transformers if you want. The Intellitouch is equally happy either way.

Note that the rules for low voltage underwater lights are different and don't typically allow for low voltage switching.

JasonLion said:
Each relay has both input and output connectors. Normally the inputs are all wired to to 110 volts, but it is simple enough to wire them to the output of the low voltage transformer instead. That allows you to have several relays allocated to controlling lights and still have just one (larger) transformer. You can have the relays switch 110 volts and use separate transformers if you want. The Intellitouch is equally happy either way.

Note that the rules for low voltage underwater lights are different and don't typically allow for low voltage switching.

I agree to controll 3 circuits separately you would need 3 relays. If wired to the high side of the transformer, I would need 3 transformers. Most transformers have leads for at least 3 (and usually 4-5) circuits, so JasonLion's idea about putting the low side through the relay makes sense.

Is it bad to have the transformer always 'hot' and switch the low side? Is it working at all if all of the low circuits are off? I have (I think) three free relays. I guess I could have one as a master to turn on the high side of the transformer and the other two on the low side -- just seems like a lot of trouble....

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.