New house, new pool, test kit arrived today...

As the title says, my wife and I just moved into our new home yesterday and there's a pool. Luckily I ordered my TF-100 last week and it showed up today, so of course I went straight to testing my water and hoping for the best! Here's the results I got:

FC - 3.5ppm
CC - 0.5ppm
Total Chlorine- 4.0ppm
Calcium Hardness - 750ppm
TA - 140
CYA - about 25
pH was high at 8.2 on the scale

Any recommendations or immediate actions needed? I used pool calculator and added about 40oz of muriatic acid to bring down the pH, and I just gave it a good scrubbing. Pool was reasonably clean, just a little debris on the bottom. I thought I saw a few small "clouds" as I scrubbed, but I can't be sure. I don't know how many gallons the pool is, so I estimated 20K as that's what the previous owner stated, but that seems a bit high. They weren't the original owners and I'm pretty sure it was a guess on his part. I haven't measured it yet, but I will eventually. I only used about 2/3 of what the calculator suggested so as to err on the side of caution. So far the water looks clean and clear. I also ordered a dolphin nautilus plus to help keep things clean, but won't see it for a couple weeks. Is there anything I'm missing? This is my first pool, so I'm a complete newb, but I've been reading the forums and read through all of pool school, so I'm not nearly as overwhelmed as I would've been without finding this place first! Thanks!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 94
Hi Smitty,
welcome to TFP and congrats on the new digs! Congrats also on taking the initiative to get a good test kit before its too late!!!!!

Given your test results, the main thing that sticks out at me, is your CH. Its way high. It can be managed, by controlling your pH and your TA carefully though.

I would recommend though, that if you can tolerate it, to drain about half the water and refill to get the CH down. Before you do though, test your fill water for CH. If its fairly high, then replacing water wont gain you much.

Next thing, get your pH down to within recommended range.

Once you decide what to do about CH, then raise your CYA to 50 ish. The sun in New Orleans will eat chlorine like crazy and bumping up the CYA will help with that.

Thanks! The CH was what caught my eye as well. I'll test the fill water and see where I stand. It'll probably have to wait till after the holiday weekend though. It's been a long and tiring week, and I plan on enjoying the pool for a few days! Although doing a water change might help cool it down a bit! I ordered the flower fountain thing I've seen several members mention and it'll be here tomorrow, so hopefully that'll help a bit. I just tested the pH again and it's down to 7.2, so all is well there. I'll do as suggested and keep an eye on it and add muriatic acid as needed, and hopefully bring the TA down a bit. I'll see about getting the CYA up a bit as well, but I want to test it again to be sure. Plus I'll probably wait till I figure out the CH. Thanks for all the help!

Good deal Smitty,
the CH isnt urgent, controlling your pH and FC is though, so just keep your eye on those and enjoy the pool for the holidays!

Happy July 4!

Thanks! The CH was what caught my eye as well. I'll test the fill water and see where I stand. It'll probably have to wait till after the holiday weekend though. It's been a long and tiring week, and I plan on enjoying the pool for a few days! Although doing a water change might help cool it down a bit! I ordered the flower fountain thing I've seen several members mention and it'll be here tomorrow, so hopefully that'll help a bit. I just tested the pH again and it's down to 7.2, so all is well there. I'll do as suggested and keep an eye on it and add muriatic acid as needed, and hopefully bring the TA down a bit. I'll see about getting the CYA up a bit as well, but I want to test it again to be sure. Plus I'll probably wait till I figure out the CH. Thanks for all the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.