Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFPers! Happy 4th weekend.

I usually purchase 12.5% from my local mom/pop pool store. Price is fair. I use the calculation to figure out the price per oz. of NaClO. I calculate it by hand and it is quick, but recently stumbled upon this website from someone's TFP thread if anyone cares to bookmark it: Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

With a sale on 10% chlorine (Kem Tek) for $4.99 for 2 gals. at my local OSH, and even when not on sale, the 10% is cheaper per oz. of NaClO vs. the 12.5% pool store stuff. The sale at OSH makes the Kem Tek stuff $0.20/oz of NaClO. Normally at Lowes I can get it for $5.86/2 gal. of the 10% Kem Tek which is $0.23/oz of NaClO. The reg. price at my local pool store for the 12.5% is $17.98/4 gal. which is $0.28/oz NaClO. What I am getting at the pool store is HASA.

The problem I am having is that even though the Kem Tek is a great deal right now on sale, I will have to still buy more of it to produce the same desired effects. Thus, I will be buying it more, which means more trips, more gas, and more waste/recycling on the environment vs. the pool store stuff which is a closer drive for me, and the bottles are re-used vs. having to be recycled. Therefore, wouldn't the 12.5% be a better deal? Even if just looking specifically at the volume I will need to equal the 12.5% over just one summer period, wouldn't the 12.5% be the best choice?

Tx.

if the 12.5 is fresh (like, was made within the week) and you are going to use it quickly, it would seem to be a better option. The problem is you can't buy a whole bunch and store it to reduce trips, as the higher the FC%, the faster it loses potency. So your # of trips calculation might end up a wash out. But otherwise, mileage and plastic waste in favor of the 12.5.

Called my pool store right now. The guy told me the HASA is about 1 wk old. This definitely beats the best/freshest Kem Tek I can find at either OSH or Lowes.

I think you should do the math first then make your decision. Assume that your pool chlorine demand is 2 to 3 ppm per day. Then using Pool Math, determine the amount of chlorine that you will need to add each day for each strength. Then calculate that out over a month ( weeks or 28 day) and you should end up with something like this.

10.00%12.50%
demand at 3 ppm per day73 oz58 oz
Jugs / month (4wks)1612.7
cost per month$46.7957.03
10.00%12.50%
demand at 2 ppm per day49 oz39 oz
Jugs / month10.78.5
cost per month$31.4138.35

So you will need between 2 and 4 jugs more a month if you use the 10%, but you will be saving $7 to $10.

I found that i can buy a months demand of chlorine with not having to worry about strength degradation by following these three rules.
1) Buy it fresh, no more than two weeks old from a store that stores the product indoors.
2) Store it in a dark, cool place. In this case in my basement
3) use it within a month of purchase, so it will be used up within 6 weeks of it's born on date

BuckeyeChris & laprjns, tx for the great replies. Laprjns, that analysis really helped.

Looking at the chlorine degradation link u posted Buckeyechris, especially post 23, I am shocked to learn how fast it degrades. I don't know how to take that info then. If I can buy a case, which is 4 gallons, of the 12.5% and let's say I use 39 oz per day. The case will last approx 13-14 days. If the 12.5% is stored in my garage and let's average that in the summer the temperature is 90°, in 2 weeks it degrades to 9.87%. Does this mean then that my chlorine additions should take the degradation into consideration? Or, should I add and then retest after I add, and then test again? If that is the case, I will be burning through my FAS-DPD powder just like that. The degradation article/post is great, it's just that I would not know how to incorporate that info into my chlorine additions.

Laprjns, even though it looks like according to your analysis I would be saving some using the 10% chlorine vs. the 12.5%, the 12.5% HASA I get at the pool store is fresher. The freshest I've seen the 10% Kem-Tek at Lowes or OSH based on decoding the barcode is still usually about 1-2 mo. old. Therefore, this would have to be calculated into the analysis.

Additionally, I just get the feeling that the opaque bottles of the 12.5% vs. the transparent bottles of the 10% would hold up better to UV exposure & increased temperatures (or, at least UV). This may not matter that much as I don't store my chlorine where it is exposed to sunlight.

Don't forget that nighttime temperatures are cooler so it won't be 90ºF for 24 hours. Even so, because the degradation rate varies non-linearly with the temperature, it will degrade faster than the average day/night temperature would indicate. If we assume for simplicity a 50/50 split of 12 hours at "Day" temp and 12 hours at "Night" temp, then we can calculate the effective average temperature from a rate perspective.

R2 = R1 * 2(DayTemp - NightTemp)/10
AvgRate = (R1 + R2)/2 = R1 * (1 + 2(DayTemp - NightTemp)/10) / 2
The question is what effective average temperature gives us this rate?
AvgRate = R1 * 2(EffAvgTemp - NightTemp)/10
R1 * 2(EffAvgTemp - NightTemp)/10 = R1 * (1 + 2(DayTemp - NightTemp)/10) / 2
2(EffAvgTemp - NightTemp)/10 = (1 + 2(DayTemp - NightTemp)/10) / 2
(EffAvgTemp - NightTemp)/10 = (ln(1 + 2(DayTemp - NightTemp)/10) - ln(2))/ln(2)
(EffAvgTemp - NightTemp)/10 = (ln(1 + 2(DayTemp - NightTemp)/10) / ln(2) - 1
EffAvgTemp = 10 * ( (ln(1 + 2(DayTemp - NightTemp)/10) / ln(2) - 1 ) + NightTemp
EffAvgTemp = 10 * ln(1 + 2(DayTemp - NightTemp)/10) / ln(2) - 10 + NightTemp

So you add the following to the night temperature for the Day minus Night temperature difference indicated and then use that effective temperature in the table.

TempDiff . EffAvgTempAdder
..... 5 ............ 2.7
... 10 ............ 5.8
... 15 ............ 9.4
... 20 .......... 13.2
... 25 .......... 17.3
... 30 .......... 21.7
... 35 .......... 26.2
... 40 .......... 30.9

So in your case if the nighttime temperature were 70ºF, then the effective average temperature would be 70 + 13.2 or around 83ºF so you could use a rate in between 80ºF and 85ºF in the chlorine breakdown table.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.