Meyco Pool cover-Weight of the snow snapped a brass fitting!

reindeerboy

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
Jamestown, ND
I knew the snow was deep covering the pool so today it hit 40 above today. 8)

Decided to investigate one side of the pool. Dug the dang snow out with a shovel only to find one of the meyco cover straps had broke a spring brass fitting. Never would have thought that could happen. So granted to say, I was ticked. Grabbed a few beers first to ponder whether I should shovel around the whole pool or not. Had another beer! By now I was down right pizzed off!

So grabbed the shovel and went to work. Started about 1pm and I just walked in the door. Granted to say, if you are looking for a workout, then this is your ticket! My back is killing me.

At least I was able to repair the brass fitting. I so happened to have a spare so I grabbed a torch and heated up the area around the fitting in the cement, took a punch, and yanked it out of the cement. Took a hammer and put in the new one, but now the delima. The cover is frozen to the top of the water in the pool and there is no way that strap will go back in place so I decided to grap some hefty wire, and then attached it to the fitting for the time being.

I decided that as it wams up and the snow starts to melt in the center of the pool, hopefully it will release enough of the meyco cover for me to continue to tighten up the wire until I can put it back into place.

Has anyone had this happen before? I was thinking about trying to call Meyco or email them to see if this could be a warranty thing? Worth a shot I thought.

If I remember, I will take a pic tomorrow and throw it up here for you all to see my handy work today. :cheers:

Here are some pics of what it looked like before I shoveled some snow off and then afterwards.

Was a royal pain, but now looking out in the backyard, I sure am glad I did it and now the plan is to continue to keep the heavy weight off of any further snows so no other damage occurs.

If anyone has any further suggestions on the warranty of the brass fittings? Let me know? I figure it probably is not worth the hassle for $10-$20 buchs anyway?

Attachments

• Sled Pics 08-09 011.jpg
    Sled Pics 08-09 011.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Sled Pics 08-09 038.jpg
    Sled Pics 08-09 038.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Sled Pics 08-09 039.jpg
    Sled Pics 08-09 039.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 138
Hey Chad :wave:

Sorry to hear the anchor broke :( Unfortunately... it happens sometimes. I'm glad you had a replacement on hand. If the wight on the cover was enough to break the anchor, be sure to check the springs when you take the cover off - they may have warped and need replacing (when they warp too much, you can't get the cover tool in them - a real PITA :rant: ) If you check them and replace as necessary in the spring, you'll be all set to slap the cover on in the fall.

You posted while I was typing this - $20 for an anchor????? Even my rapacious boss only nicks our customers $7.95 for one and we even install the darned thing. However, you can always ask Meyco and see if they won't do something for you.

BTW - are you still planning to redo the filter set-up? If so, bump that thread and I'll tell you how I was thinking you could "tighten up" the plumbing. (Note: I'll be away for a couple weeks starting Wed. - Mom broke her leg and I have to go help her for a couple weeks - I'm not sure if she has internet access so I may be absent from here during that time - so if you bump it and I don't answer, that's the reason)

Enjoy the new snowmobile while waiting for the pool to thaw 8)

Thanks Ted. Yep, I just ordered 5 of them online for $5.75 a piece. Pretty good deal.

The spring is a little warped but not bad. I stuck the handle in the hole and it was a bit bent, but I bent it back. The spring still works great so I think it will be just fine. Had to use a piece of wire for now until it thaws out more, but at least the rest of them are in good shape so that was a relief.

I will head back to my setup thread soon. If you have any other ideas, then for sure let me know. Luckily, work has been awesome this past year and they anounced a bonus for us which will be SWEET! It will be more than enough to replace everything I need this year as I had already wanted to replace those items anyway.

Sorry to hear about your Moms leg. Sure hope she gets better! Give her my best!

Oh yea, thanks for the bumpers. I think the ones that go into the hole of the ladder may work. I figgure if I had to grind down some of the rubber to make it fit, then I will plan to do that this comming spring.

Snowmobiling has been good this year, except now it was warm yesterday and now its cold again and the snow is rock hard. No fun riding on pavement! :lol:

Take care and we will visit soon again. Thanks for all your help buddy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.