Latest test results - what else can I do?

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
First of all, sorry, I didn't think to take a photo of the water.

Test results:
FC 8.5
CC .5
TC 9?
PH 7.2
TA 110
CYA didn't test as I just added stabilizer 2 days ago to bring it up to 30

So the water is still really cloudy and maybe on the aqua side for color. There is still dust on the bottom, but I can't get Wanda to work. see this thread: Best pool cleaner for above ground?

I have been brushing as much of the pool as I can reach and have been hand skimming anything that is floating. I have been cleaning out the skimmer basket and the basket on the pump. I have backwashed a couple of times, but am trying not to do that if not necessary because of putting stabilizer in.

Last night I only had to put in 1/2 gallon of chlorine to bring it up to 12. It was still at 12 this morning when I checked it. Just before noon is when I did these test results and the FC was now at 8.5. Put in more chlorine to bring it back up.

What is my next plan of attack? We can not see the bottom of the pool. It doesn't really look green, but not clear.

THANKS!!!

Your sand filter is really small for your size pool and has a design flow rate of 35 gpm. I saw a website selling Wanda the Whale that claimed you needed a pool system pump with a flow rate of 40gpm, so maybe that is your problem with the vac.

There are instructions in pool school on how to operate sand filters and when to backwash, be sure to follow those instructions. Getting rid of cloudiness is often the longest part of slamming a pool. If you're able to babysit the filter to watch PSI, try adding DE per pool school instructions to speed up the process.

Yes we have a sand filter. I don't mind babysitting it at all. Pump has run 24/7 since we started filling it a week or so ago.

I was wondering about DE. I might have some here, but don't know if it is food grade. I think that is what you all recommend? Where can I find the food.grade stuff?

So can I be back washing even though I just added stabilizer the other day?

THANKS for the feedback.

A backwash will lose any stabilizer sitting in the filter that hasn't dissolved. You'll also lose some that has already mixed with your pool water anytime you backwash or water gets splashed out. Waiting until the stabilizer in your filter dissolves is up to you. Dead algae causing the cloudy water will require you to backwash soon enough and maybe you should wait until then before adding DE.

Does your pressure gauge go to zero when pump is off and go up when pump is on?

What is the PSI on the gauge during filter mode after you have just completed a backwash and rinse?

What is the PSI on the gauge now?

It is recommended to backwash and rinse when pressure rises ~25%. If your normal pressure is 20 PSI, you would want to backwash when it reaches 25 PSI.

Here are things worth reading:
Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters (Read SAND section).
Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

If your problem with vac is that it still is losing prime then I wouldn't blame the flow. If the hose has sections, only use half the hose and see if one of the two halves work. If so, start taking sections off the other half until you have the problem again. The last section you add will have the leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.