Wondering If My Pump And Filter Are Properly Sized

Jul 2, 2015
Midland, MI
The house we moved into has a 24' above ground pool. I don't know much about pools, but in the reading I have done, it seems like the pump might be overrated for the system that is in place.

The Pool:
24' Diameter
54" Average depth
15,293 gallons (if my calcs are accurate)

The Pump:
Hayward SP1580
1 HP
Head/Flow
10 ft / 86 GPM
20 ft / 86 GPM
30 ft / 75 GPM
40 ft / 58 GPM
50 ft / 27 GPM

The Filter:
Hayward S180T
150lbs sand
Designed flow rate - 35 GPM

The Chlorinator:
Hayward CL200

The Hoses:
1 1/2" flexible hoses
Skimmer to Pump - 6 ft
Pump to Filter - 6 ft
Filter to Chlorinator - 6 ft
Chlorinator to Pool - 3 ft

If someone more knowledgeable than I could let me know if there are some things that I should change to help with overall efficiency, I would greatly appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

The first thing that jumps out is, unfortunately, the most expensive fix.

You could use a larger filter. Your pump is trying (and capable) of pushing about 60 or so gpm and your filter is only rated for 35 gpm.

Your psi is likely close to 20 so you could get much more flow and less psi with a bigger filter rated at maybe 80 gpm or so.

As an aside, it looks like you are using pucks. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It may change your mind.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Thank you!

You could use a larger filter. Your pump is trying (and capable) of pushing about 60 or so gpm and your filter is only rated for 35 gpm.

Your psi is likely close to 20 so you could get much more flow and less psi with a bigger filter rated at maybe 80 gpm or so.

Excellent guess. The gauge reads ~21 PSI. If I do replace the filter, is it still acceptable to use 1 1/2" hoses for everything?

As an aside, it looks like you are using pucks. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It may change your mind.

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a read.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.