TF-100 and High Chlorine Test

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Yesterday I did a drain/flush on my pool to get the CYA lowered. The good news is I am at least down to CYA of 60 and attempting to go back to bleach instead of trichlor. Last night I added 6 bottles of concentrated bleach in an attempt to shock the pool and get the water clear. I ran the pump all night and attempted to test the water this morning. As I said, the good news is that the CYA is now manageable.

The bad news is I couldn't get the chlorine test to work. I tried twice. The first test, I added the 870 powder and tried to agitate the test bottle to get it to turn pink. It would flash pink and go back clear. I swirled hard a few more times and it turned a deep purple. So I started adding 871 reagent and got to 60, and still hadn't turned. Then I lost count so I dumped it out.

I repeated the procedure. This time I added the powder and it never would turn pink. So I added a bit more. After that it turned deep purple again. So I started adding 871 again and got to 100 drops and still no change. It stayed dark purple. I am assuming this means my chlorine level is extremely high? I didn't want to add any more 871 because I am running out of it.

I then did the chlorine/ph test. (Red and yellow reagents) The chlorine was a dark, dark almost brown again indicating the chlorine level is way high. When testing the pH it was a dark purple 8.2, which has never happened before. My fill water has low pH and I always have to fight to raise it. I am assuming this test was skewed due to the high chlorine???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.