Can't get the cloudy out

Jul 18, 2010
Chillicothe, MO
PH, CYA, Alkalinity and Stablizer are good, and finally I have my chlorine holding steady. Dumped in recommended amount of flocculant last night and it's still cloudy. This is after about a week long of trying different things, vacuuming to waste, adding metal stuff. Still cloudy. Do I just keep dumping in clarifier till it's clear?

No, don't keep putting any more in. It may be over treated already, which may be giving you the opposite of the desired effect. We usually don't even suggest using them. You say those numbers are good, but that is vague and you don't list the level of the most critical item which is Free Chlorine. Proper levels of it, and filtration are all you need to get the pool cleared. Can you please post a set of full results, and tell us how you obtained them?

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate. You need to get one of the recommended test kits and go to pool school. Once you know how it's easy to maintain your pool. Mine gets complemented all the time by total strangers. I only spend 5 min a day and about 30 min on the weekend to keep it that way. The 30 min is vacuuming which I do while in the pool so it's not really work. :)

Buying a good test kit will actually SAVE you money as you'll know exactly what your levels are and able to effectively use the right changes in chemistry to solve the problem. The TF-100 from tftestkits.net is the best residential kit money can buy for appropriate amounts of reagents and value. The Taylor K-2006 is also an option but will require ordering some replacement reagents sooner.

I use the TF-100 in my sig as I think it's the best value, the Taylor 2006 is a bit less money but you don't get as much chemicals either. The TF-100 is only available online but with fast shipping. The Taylor 2006 can sometimes be found in pool stores, though you have to be careful because they may try to sell you a 2005 kit as the 2006.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Recieved my Kit the K-2006. Here are my numbers:FC and CC-none It's been a few days since I added because I figured why waste it if my test strips were bad.
PH 7, 3 drops of R-0006 brought it to 7.2, 5 drops brought it to 7.4
Alk: 80ppm
Calcium: 340 ppm
CYA: 50 ppm

What do I need to do and how much?

Assuming your water is still cloudy (algae), now you can accurately prepare for a SLAM. PH is good for a SLAM. Ideal CYA is 30, but 50 will do. So now:

You will see on this Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart that the SLAM FC level for a CYA of 50 is 20. You need to add enough bleach per the Poolmath calculator to keep it at 20 until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria. Keep the pump on 24/7, scrub frequently, and stay vigilant to any areas in your pool (lights, ladders, etc) that may house algae.

Test the FC level frequently, especially in the beginning, because the algae will eat it up quickly at first. It must stay at or slightly above 20.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.