CYA and SWG

astronaut888

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2013
southeast
quick and easy question

I've been a TFPC man for 2 years now and assisting a friend with his new pool at a recently purchased home.

it is a SWG pool - mine is not

He had his liner replaced in the spring and has basically done "nothing" with respect to balancing water up until now - when algae is understandably having its way with him

My Taylor #s indcate ZERO CYA - which is what I would expect.

As far as CYA is concerned - is it, in fact, accepted that CYA for a SWG should be between 60 and 80?
I am happy to assist my friend, but don't want to steer him wrong in any manner.

Wow - thanks for the reply

He did add CYA to bring to right about 30 / all he purchased / and I was advising to go ahead and target the 70 mark, but, sounds like holding off makes sense for now until algae is gone

All of the water samples I have checked show zero CCs , but, I guess this is possible, yes?

I have advised a OCLT, but, he hasn't received his kit yet to test.

Is a SWG pool any less likely to show CCs for some reason?

Yes, definitely hold off on adding more CYA. He will use considerably less bleach to SLAM (the biggest draw back of a SWG pool).
Yes, cc can show zero even when killing algae. The only time I had high cc was when clearing ammonia. It is easy to try and tie the two together; add FC, FC kills, turns into CC, repeat but the correlation is not that direct. And the cc offgasses quickly without a cover on.

While waiting for the test kit, I would assume 30 cya and add 1 gallon of bleach per day until kit arrives. This should help not let the pool get worse, but if it is already a swamp forego that. Just have him rake to remove as much debris as he can. And start buying bleach and get ph down to 7.2 to be ready to slam.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.