Noob question, is there a recommended order of TF-100 testing?

Jun 30, 2015
Meridian, MS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Good Morning all, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my TF-100 and K-1766, which, according to tracking, is on the truck for delivery. My question is, is there a recommended order of performing the tests? I have been using my PB's K-1766 salt test, and an aquachem kit since we put the water in the new pool last week, Salt is at 3400 ppm, and CL- 1.5 and BR- 3.4, pH was 7.8.

Or, should I perform the tests as close to the order of the Pool Calulator as i can? I also plan on creating a binder to log my test results in so i can try to learn and keep track of how and when this beast eats.;)

I think you'll find most people follow the order that matches how the instructions are printed on the laminated card that comes with the TF-100. But any order will do you just fine.

EDIT - Chlorine/Bromine. While some tests will list Bromine levels, you will not have that in your pool unless you are using that as your sanitizer in lieu of chlorine. Bromine is often used in spas and rarely in pools.

Congrats!

I don't use the TF-100 but I don't think there is any specific order for testing no matter what kit you use. You definitely need to know how much CYA is in the water, and well everything else so you can get a good idea of where you need to start and/or adjust. Once you get the kit, post a complete set of results and go from there. SWEET pool by the way!!

I start by testing salt and temperature, as my salt meter needs to sit for about a minute. While that is running, I set up the speedstir and get the chlorine test started.

After that, I just follow along with the instructions in order.

I recommend the speedstir and a side dispensing sample bottle, it makes the test much easier since you don't need to keep reaching into the pool.

There is no particular order. I would suggest you take a water sample from about a foor down in your pool and then go inside and set at a table for your first couple of complete tests.

After that, you will become quite comfortable with the tests and determine your own method.

I still like to do mine indoors because it is a comfortable environment and the "cool ones" are not far away. :mrgreen:

Griswald, I did order the Speed Stir as well, but what is the side dispensing bottle? duraleigh, i think that relative position to the "cool ones" sound like a plan, since the wife's Tiki Bar is not built as of yet, I will never see the end of the "honey-do" list, which is one reason why i am so anxious to at least get the pool right from the start!:rolleyes:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mike1162, No problems yet, (knocks on wood) and want to get everything right as I can from the start, so I will not create my own downward spiral.

- - - Updated - - -

Razorhog, I have an Android, so i will check the playstore, thanks for the headsup. Is it pretty simple to use and compatible with the TFP philosophy?

- - - Updated - - -

Razorhog, I have an Android, so i will check the playstore, thanks for the headsup. Is it pretty simple to use and compatible with the TFP philosophy?

Yes it's pretty simple. Shows a calendar and you click on the day to enter test results. Has a spot for FC, CC, CYA, TA and Adjusted Total Alkalinity. Wish it had a spot for CH but there is a notes section on each test that you can put stuff. When SLAMing I record the FC level, and how much bleach I'm adding to get to shock level in the notes section. It automatically records the time of day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.