Morning results

Tolequilty

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Hooper/UT
Good Morning! I am excited to get some help! My pool started out dark green. I have used algaecide, shock, 3"tablets, Ph increaser, flocculant and chlorine granules over the last few weeks. (not everything at once). My water is blue and cloudy. I would like to clear it up and have it sparkling by Saturday for some holiday fun! (probably wishful thinking). My husband is convinced it will never clear up.
My results this morning:
I am using a HTH 5-way test kit for now that I already have until I get a TF-100 ordered.
Cl .5
Ph 7.2
TA 130
TH 450
I have no CYA regeant left so I couldn't test it.

We have intense sunlight and 100+ heat right now, so the chlorine won't last long.

The pool math says to add 96 oz of bleach to bring up to a level of 4. should I add more than that now? How high should my level be to clear up the pool?

No, it doesn't contain the FAS-DPD test you need to get accurate FC readings. But it's the only kit I've found locally that contained a decent CYA test, which is the only reason I mention it.

I feel bad for you. Without the CYA we're just throwing darts here. Maybe you'll get lucky at Wal-Mart. But just my personal opinion...... if you get to Wal-Mart and don't find any such kits or CYA reagents, it might be just as well. Just wait for the TF-100 anyways. Here it is Thursday, and if your water is already cloudy due to a suspected algae situation, I doubt you would finish a "SLAM" by Saturday to make it crystal clear. The high FC level required to do a SLAM might not be good for the guests anyways. Also, there's no telling how high your CYA really is. If it's really high (which I suspect) it may require a partial drain to lower the CYA. I know you don't want to do that before the Saturday festivities.

So I would almost be inclined to suggest saving your money and wait for the TF-100. For now, just make sure you take everything out of the water (i.e. tablets) and put nothing in the water other than regular liquid bleach. When I did the Poolmath calculator for your 14.6K pool size, going from 0 FC to 8, I came-up with 1 Gal and 3 qts worth of bleach. Why did I pick an FC of 8? Well, I am only assuming here :), but I suspect you have quite a bit of CYA in your pool already. I just picked a CYA of 50 as a mid-line starting point (guess). It might actually be much higher. But if you look at the Chlorine/CYA chart (link in my sig), you'll see the Target FC for a pool with CYA of 50 is 6. I figured you could go a couple ppm over that (8) since some will get burned by the sun anyways. If your CYA is higher, then your FC would be even higher than 6, possibly 8 or 9.

I just hate to see you spend more money when you've already ordered the best kit out there, and you may have to drain some water anyways after Saturday. If it were me, I would simply use my money to get some bleach. Assuming your current FC is almost zero right now, add about a gallon and a half of bleach right away today to get your FC to about 8, then tonight add another gallon. Friday, evening add one more gallon of regular bleach and continue to brush your pool to keep things stirred-up and going to the filter. Saturday morning clean your filter real good and maybe add 1/2 gallon of bleach in the morning before everyone arrives. Just trying to do some "damage control" is all.

After your TF-100 gets here, you can post your CYA and other readings (especially FC and CC) and we'll go from there. If you managed to get lucky and find a CYA test kit at Wal-Mart today, then of course we'll be glad to help. :) By the way ... when all of this is done, you WILL prove your husband wrong by having a crystal clear pool. :)

Thank you Texas Splash!
I bought a new kit.
All of my results are the same except the TH is only 270 not 450 as with the old kit.
CYA is 30

I did find a pool store I will never frequent. I called and asked if they had any CYA or cyanuric acid regent refill liquid. The "pool guy" said he didn't even know what it was and that it is a gimmick for pool stores to get you to buy chemicals LOL. I tried to educate him that it helps stabilize the chlorine and he said "I only worry about the PH and the Chlorine levels". I think he needs to join this group. :)

Well 30 is good for slam money wise. You need to raise your fc to 12.

- - - Updated - - -

2 gallons of 8.25% regular bleach will get you started. No splashless or scented varieties, and make sure the label says 8.25%

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
attachment.php
Not very pretty. No, there wasn't any cloudiness in the tube

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php
Not very pretty. No, there wasn't any cloudiness in the tube

Attachments

• IMG_7830.jpg
    IMG_7830.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 39
I would count it as 0 and add enough to get it to 20 for right now. Better to go a little low as it is much easier to add than to take out.

Put it in a sock, close the sock with a rubber band and hang it in front of the return. You can squeeze it to help speed it up.

Do not bother testing for about a week. CYA takes about a week to dissolve all of the way in the water.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.