replacing de filter

isriam

Jan 15, 2015
PHX
i want to replace my de filter with sand because of the annoyance of DE and backwashing having to replace it. i have a pentair 60sqft de filter today, any suggestion on a comparable sand filter? i prefer pentair and they have a few to choose from.

It sounds like you will be ok on the TR60. Just make sure that your pump does not exceed 63 gallons per minute. I would imagine your pump is in the 1 - 1.5 hp range and you should be ok with the 60. I don't usually backwash but once every 3 - 4 weeks although our pool is normally only used by myself and my wife. We have changed our sand twice in the 10 years. I did change my laterals/lateral hub yesterday "easy job piece of cake with this filter" and added back 50 lbs of pea gravel before 275 lbs of sand. The pea gravel seems to help our pump pull better. The farthest return has a better flow than it did before with 100% sand..

Thanks guys. Mostly I hate back washing because it just throws money down the drain in regards to de.

The pentair vs is a variable speed pump up to 3hp. I have a spa with blowers and a single speed pump was 2.5hp before I replaced it this year. I don't have a flow meter installed but looks like maybe I need one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.