Pre-SLAM help!

Jul 1, 2015
Thomasville, NC
I have a 20X40 (36,000 gallon) green pool! I attached a picture. We have had the pool for 5 years and I have never had any issues getting the water balanced. I am so frustrated with this green algae. It is July and we still can't swim!!! I had the water tested and confirmed that there is no iron, copper or manganese; just good old green algae. The sweet people at the pool store :mad: sold me some powder shock and algacide which I added on Sunday and nothing really happened. This is after trying to just shock ( powder) and clear it on my own for several weeks with no sign of improvement. I have officially learned my pool store lesson.....

The water has actually cleared some it is just still green ( fairly clear but not colorless). I ordered my FAS-DPD test kit and it came in the mail yesterday. I have bought the bleach and I plan to start tomorrow; I am off work so will have the time to test and adjust as needed. My CYA is between 60-80. Last night after the sun went down I went out and tested the water; 12ppm FC and 0.25CC. The FC is still high from shocking on Sunday; I presume. I turned off the chlorinator ( SWG). I got up early this morning ( before the sun was shining) and tested the water again ; it was the same 12ppmFC and 0.25CC. So technically I already pass the OCT , right? I was expecting the FC to go down since there is clearly still algae in the water. I have no idea how high the chlorine level was before I added the shock on Sunday so I don't know how far it had to drift down to get to 12ppm. I am just looking for some answers before I jack the chlorine level up tomorrow. I am afraid I will raise it to 31ppm and it will not drop....

What am I missing here guys? I am DETERMINED to get this thing clear and swimable as soon as possible.

Attachments

• green pool.jpg
    green pool.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 60
Hit me now... but is there another store around to test for metals? It seems odd to have that much green color yet I can still make out piles of debris in the deep end?? And no overnight chlorine loss seems puzzling.

Since you are so close to 10 ppm FC, I would let it drift down and run a full battery of tests especially ph and CH. Get all those test results so the experts can help forge a path for you.

Sorry you are having issues, frustrating to say the least. But congrats on the test kit.

I have sand filter, running 24/7. I have been backwashing and rinsing but I have not been brushing daily. Today, I am going to vacuum it really well ( now that I can actually see the bottom) and I will give it a good brushing. Should I wait a few more days to see what happens before I slam it?

Ok, let's get your pool clear.

Pre-SLAM...

Vacuum and brush that junk off the bottom. vacuum and brush it again when it settles back to the pool floor. Pay attention to your psi gauge....backwash when it goes up 25%

That's not white foam around the edges, is it?

Pool Tool....I am still a little suspicious of metals myself. I don't have well water though and have no idea where the metal would come from. There is only one store within 30 minutes of my house. Can I buy a kit to test for metals myself? Should I let it drift all the way down to ~4ppm before testing again?

- - - Updated - - -

Duraleigh....no white foam

I do not eliminate metals either but that junk on the bottom is surely not metals (iron) so you can start there. Secondly, the SLAM will probably determine if there is any iron in that pool and may just precipitate it out.

The Taylor K-1766 is a good test for iron if you want it. You do not need to lower FC to use it.

I would still SLAM the pool wholeheartedly and see what results.

Thanks guys! My current plan is to get the pool clear of debris and brush really really well tonight when I get home from work. Gonna get up in the morning and head to Leslie's to get the water tested; just to definitively rule out metals and get an second read on all of my levels. Given there is no iron, I am going to calculate my SLAM level and get started. I will update and probably have lots more questions.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use MA. Some people prefer to work with the others since the liquid can splash and the odor can be strong. You can try the different option on "effects of adding chemicals" on Poolmath to see what else each chemical adds. For me, I like the liquid - it is cheap and stores well.

Thanks for clarifying how to use poolmath. I do see now that it has both types of chemicals listed for pH up and pH down. Makes sense borax and soda ash are basic and would up the pH. I have some MA on hand that I use to clean my salt cell so that should work fine. Thanks again!

attachment.php
Deep end; it is more clear around the edges...greener as you get toward center
attachment.php
brown steps
attachment.php

Okay.....this is what I have done and the results I have so far...

1. Double chekded with Leslie's that water contained no iron ,copper, or manganese. I know they may not be accurate but I have no other way of testing for metals. No metals found. Confirmed CYA at 70 and pH at 7.6

2. Inital testing wiht FAS-DPD; FC 7ppm, CC=.25ppm. Used phenol red drop test to confirm pH at 7.6. Added 96oz of dry acid to target pH of 7.2. Waited an hour and retested- pH was 7.2.

3. Caculated my Shock level for SWG to be 28ppm, based on CYA of 70. I caluclated using Pool Math that I needed 1,119oz of 8.25% bleach (121 oz). At 2 pm I added 9.5 bottles of the bleach. Readings have been as follows:

3pm- FC=48pmm ( overshot the amount of maybe not yet mixed well?)- CC=0.5ppm
5:30pm- FC-40ppm, CC=0.5ppm
8pm: FC=31, CC=.5ppm
9:30am- FC=30, CC=0.5ppm
2:30pm- FC=27ppm, CC=.25ppm

I am not losing chlorine as fast as I thought I would. I have attached some pictures of what the pool looks like now. My steps now have a nice brown color to them leading me to believe that this might be a metal issue. I just dont understand why the tests are not showing any metals. What do I do now guys????? Do I continue to SLAM; alhtough I think I could pass the OCLT tonight. I am so furstrated that I want to cry and I just want to swim. I feel defeated and like I just want to put the cover on this thing.

I have ordered the K-2006 kit for future use and I also went ahead and ordered 2 liters of Metal out and a culator (sp?) patch thingy for the skimmer. I did this because everything I have read indicated that the only reason my steps would turn that color would be metal. HELP!

Attachments

• image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 65
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.