crystal clear pool water has suddenly turned cloudy.

First let me list my test results from this morning.

FC = 5.0
PH = 7.5
TA = 100
CH = 100
CYA = ~42

The water has been very clear since pool opening on 5/4/15. The test levels have been consistently around where they are now. Yesterday I noticed the water was starting to get a little cloudy but I could see the liner pattern detail clearly on the deep end at 8 ft. The water level in the pool had been above the skimmer for about 2 weeks at that point due to the excessive rain we have had. I had been cleaning the water surface with the leaf skimmer net since the water was not getting skimmed the normal way due to the high water level. Yesterday I backwashed to lower the pool level to below the skimmer so the water is now getting filtered by the skimmer and drain lines and I left the pump running on low all night. I thought that might clear up the slightly cloudy water but this morning the cloudy water condition is much worse. I can bearly see my bottom drains. Does anyone have any ideas why I have this cloudy water?

Thanks,
Dave.

Wellllllllll......good guess is that it took at least 2 weeks of NON-filtering off the top to get that way and will take a little longer to clear than usual. Keep skimming/filtering. Your FC is gettin' a tad towards minimum for your CYA level as well.

Does anyone have any ideas why I have this cloudy water?
Yes. You need to SLAM your pool. At some point your FC numbers got too low and SLAMming the pool is the correct way to get your water back to crystal clear.

On a separate note
Yesterday I backwashed to lower the pool level to below the skimmer
I assume you meant back to normal skimmer level and not below the skimmer

Woody, smykowski and I are really all saying the same thing. Elevate your chlorine. I am suggesting you go all the way to a SLAM as it sounds like your pool is pretty darn cloudy....not just a little bit.

Well I just got up since I work a 12 hour night shift. Thanks to all for the response. Because of my work schedule I can't do an OCLT until Sunday night but I can bring my chlorine level up. I just can't stay up all day testing and adding bleach. I have about three hours to tend to the pool on workdays/nights. With a CYA about 40 and FC = 5.0 I'm right at target according to the CYA/chlorine chart so I was surprised to hear that some thought I was a little low.

That brings me to another question I have always had. How high can the FC level be in PPM and still be a safe level to swim in. I have read elsewhere that 1 -3 ppm is the safe FC level to swim in. I know the CYA/chlorine chart does not follow that thinking but is there a maximum level of chlorine for safe swimming. As I'm typing this two of my Grand kids just came over to go swimming. Is the pool safe to swim in as far as the cloudy issue is concerned and how about if I get the pool up to shock level of 16?

Thanks for all the help.
Dave.

I just checked the FC level again and it is at 7.5 and the CC =0 or at most 0.5. This is up from a level of 5.0 this morning because I got up briefly from my nap about three hours ago and added 121 oz of 8.25% bleach. I also should memtion that on sunny days like today we get sun all day long. I can add more bleach before I go to work in a couple hours but is FC = 7.5 safe to swin in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool is safe to swim in up to SLAM level for your CYA, provided you can see the bottom. At that level, it may fade bathing suits a bit, but is otherwise safe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.