Problems With PoolSkim- Need Advice

off2theocean

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2014
North Carolina
I have a ton of trees in my backyard (oaks, maples, etc.) and - even though it's only July - there are a lot of leaves and pollen constantly finding their way into my pool.

I was looking for a solution to help keep the leaves under control and found the PoolSkim. Almost all the reviews were positive so I thought I would take a chance and order one for myself.

I watched a couple videos on installation and got it in the pool. All I can say is I am highly disappointed. The suction seems powerful, but there are leaves and debris floating right by - mere inches away from the vortex. I read some commments that suggested it would work better with slotted returns. So I changed out my eyeball fittings with the slotted kind. That worked to push the water along the edges of the pool, but it didn't help to push any leaves to the unit. One thing I did notice is that once I installed the slotted returns, my pressure shot up. The pressure usually rides around 11 or 12. When I put in the slotted returns, the pressure rose to 18. Is this normal?

I have made a drawing of my freeform pool layout (it's a bit more curvy than the drawing depicts). As you can see, I have two skimmers, four return jets and an outlet for the Polaris. I installed the PoolSkim on the return jet in the shallow end since that is where the giant oak trees seem to drop the most leaves. Then I added slotted returns on the other return jets and created a clockwise flow in the pool.

Should the PoolSkim go on a different return? Looking for help and advice before I give up and list a "slightly used" PoolSkim on eBay.

Thanks!

Thank you for the feedback on the Poolskim product. Maybe some other forum members will have input as well. While I'm not sure connecting it to a specific return might help, my assumption about your pressure increase from the slotted returns would be a result of those returns creating slightly more back-pressure - more water resistance. Just an assumption though. :) Have a great day!

If the flow is clockwise, then the pool skim should be on the far right return, with the collection net on the left as you look down into the pool. It may take several hours for all the debris to reach the poolskim.

I installed a PoolSkim last year as I too have a number of maples in my yard - on with a number of branches right above the pool. I found that going to a slotted return on my shallow end jet and then sending more water through the PoolSkim return than the other (my pump room has a valve) gave my PS a big boost.

One other thing that really helped was messing around with that blue ring on the inside of the PS. If you push it down further, the vortex seems to be "deeper" giving it some added suction. It seemed that I could also push one side down further in relation to the other, to try and angle the pull of the water, but that may have been just my imagination. Regardless, my PS now takes in about 10 times as much debris as my regular skimmer. It works so well that I now leave my suction side Barracuda plugged in permanently and no longer have to choose between surface clean/bottom clean.

Hope you can get yours going. Let me know if you have any other questions and I can try to help.

I use it on an above ground pool, but I agree with zea, it needs to be on the return to the far right in the deep end if the flow is clockwise. Putting in on the last return in the shallow end just means that the other 3 returns are going to move the debris away from the poolskim before it has a chance to collect anything. Also, as rbroh said, the strength of the return flow will affect the ability of the poolskim to pull in the debris. I have a 2 speed pump with 1 return and my poolskim works much better with the pump on high than on low. Don't give up on it. It has been a lifesaver for me. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.