Pool newbie from UK, need feedback on test results

AnnikaF

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Southampton, UK
Hi all,

Been lurking on the forum for a few months, and totally sold on the TFP method!!! So this is my first post, and i'd like some feedback on my test results. Unfortunately can't get hold of any of the fancy test kit you have across the pond (have a friend in TX which is sending me a TP100 kit when he's back from his vacation in a couple of weeks, yay!), so i'm currently using a Lamotte ColorQ Pro7 which actually is not that bad. As I'm also an aquarium nerd, I've compared test results with my fish tank test kits and they are fairly consistent.

Anyway, onto my pool results.

FC 5.25
TC 5.18
PH 7.3
TA 70
CH 360
CYA 80
Borates 50

So my initial concern is the high TC, however after speaking to the pool store they explained that as i don't have a higher TC than the FC i'm fine? I have done the overnight FC loss test a few times and never loose more than FC 0.3 overnight.

Pool is sparkling clear, PH a bit low as i have just gone through the TA lowering process with muratic acid, but that i'm fixing with airation at the moment.

Any comments apreciated.

Cheers :)

Hello and welcome! Actually, your numbers above look quite good. :) Your FC is a tad low (ideal Target of 6), so I would just make sure it doesn't go any lower. Remember to always refer to the Chlorine/CYA chart (link below) which will tell you what your ideal FC should be based on your current CYA. But all-in-all, you are looking quite good. Hope you have a terrific swimming season! Thanks for visiting us.

Awesome, many thanks! :) i'm still playing with the SWG to dial it in correctly. So I shouldn't worry too much about the FC/ high TC reading, is the pool store right about keeping the numbers equal and I'm good to go?

Your last question is another reason why we encourage pool owners to own the proper test kit and do their own testing. When you get your TF-100 test kit, you only need to be concerned with FC and "CC" (Combined Chlorine). Think of FC as the "good" and CC as the "bad". TC (Total Chlorine) is their sum or total, so FC + CC = TC. That's why we emphasize the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 because they test provide those results accurately. The test kit you are using, or what pool stores do sometimes, gave an interesting test result above where the TC was actually lower (0.07) than the FC. See what I mean? Total Chlorine results should never be lower than FC and/or CC. Just one of those "gee-wiz" things. :)

But not a big deal right now. Your numbers look really good and you appear to have a very good handle on things. Keep-up the great work! :goodjob:

Cheers TS, I can only take my hat off and express my gratitude to this forum and the support and knowledge sharing provided, as I've spent a magnitude of hours reading up on the pool school and the various threads, and I'm pretty stoked that it all has worked out so well as it has for my little pool (and science project).

My little 20 month old baby girl (Annika) absolutely loves swimming, we've had her in swim class since she was only 4 weeks old and she demands "bade" (Norwegian for bathing) every time she sees the pool which is pretty awesome!

Cheers
Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.