borate Level

Sep 7, 2008
I started adding borates to my pool a few months ago. Following the directions to test monthly, I did the first month and the level had dropped so I added borax to return to the desired 50. I just tested today and the level was 80 (I am using the LaMotte test strips). Why would it rise and do I need to bring it down? I don't recall seeing information in "So you want to add borates to your pool - why and how" regarding a rise in the level. :? :?:

Borate test strips are not all that precise. Test results can vary from test to test even when the borate level does not change. What you describe sounds like the normal variation in test results. As long as the level is around 50 to 80 just leave it alone till the next month.

Be sure to read the test strip in sunlight. If read in artificial light it can read low. Also, proper borate levels are more of a 'ballpark figure' thing. 80 ppm is nothing to worry about since this is the level you would want if you were using a biguanide sanitizer system. My suggestion would be to repeat the test in a few days to confirm before adding more borax the next time you see a significant drop in the level. I usually do not recommend adding more until the level drops below 30 ppm, since the 'sweet spot' for chlorine and bromine pools is 30-50 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.