Filter pressure gauge full of water

fklash

Jun 17, 2015
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hi everyone,

I've attached a picture of my filter pressure gauge which is always full of water. I've been ignoring it and haven't had time to troubleshoot it. I can still kind of see of the numbers, and I do clean the cartridge filter on a regular bases, but I plan to troubleshoot it when I get some time off work soon.

attachment.php

Just wanted to see if anyone had pointers before I start messing with it.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20150627_111845.jpg
    IMG_20150627_111845.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 475
I don't think our standard gauges will fit that. We can ship non-Taylor stuff to Canada but I believe that is a proprietary gauge.

Having a working gauge is really important and I encourage you to get it fixed soon....if you have no gauge, it's a bit like a physician with no stethoscope.

All that I can find out about it is that it's a 2" case diameter with a 1/4" threaded connection. I can't find it anywhere, but I seem to remember that it's bsp straight threads that are o-ring sealed.

This looks similar to mine and I end up buying a couple every year (I think they are $3-4 and they act like it), but I've never been able to find a good quality liquid filled gauge that is sized correctly. Basically, I've given up and just consider it disposable. I put a new one in and then within a month or two it leaks, though I can still read it. Soon enough, it fails (does not go to zero with pump off) so I replace.

Well, if it's 1/4" npt, a back-mount gauge should work well enough. Most of the good ones are a little bigger but I think they would rest on that "lip" Just fine.

If you want to, unscrew it and take a pic of the threads and back side. A standard gauge just might work.

Thanks for all the replies.

I finally got a bit of a breather from work and got around to cleaning the filter, and got the pressure gauge out. It's still full of water and I don't know how to go about troubleshooting it. I did put it back in after cleaning the filter and it is reading 12psi, so it seems to be working, but I'm not sure if i can trust it.

I was in the pool store this past weekend looking at patio furniture, and the lady quoted me that this particular gauge costs around 20$ (I'm like whhaaaaaattt!!)
I'm going to take it to the pool store and see if they can get me one for free, it's not even 1 year old (have to look up the warranty).

Anyways here are some picture of the pressure gauge. Appreciate any input.
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20150714_194414.jpg
    IMG_20150714_194414.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20150714_194407.jpg
    IMG_20150714_194407.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20150714_194402.jpg
    IMG_20150714_194402.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 289
I really like the gauges that Tftestkits sells, but they're 2½" diameter and that gauge is 2".

Since it's less than a year old you should try and get it replaced under warranty. You're going to need to keep that BSP to NOT adapter on the back of that gauge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it were me, I'd just get a plastic coupling and nipple the same size as that black NPT adapter and use a TFT gauge and let it stick up above the tank (not recessed).

+1 on that idea. It's better to work good than look good....and those oil filled gauges work marvelous!*

*with apologies to Billy Crystal

+2. Got my TFTestKits gauge installed and couldn't possibly be happier. A short adapter/extension (1/4 Male NPT to 1/4 Female NPT) could be threaded into your plastic coupler to get the gauge just far enough out to not cause problems.

If you really want that high-speed-low-drag "flush-mount" look, you could always open the hole in the plastic filter case up to fit around the new gauge. ;) (I'm actually kidding about that...it's probably not advisable...).

Bam!!!
Finally fixed. Bought a new pressure gauge for 5$ from local pool store. Let's see how long this one lasts. (sorry can't post a picture because I've exceeded my size limit. Is the size limit per thread?)

So now that I have accurate reading with the filter clean (it goes to 5 psi when pump running on low, and 12 psi when running on high), what's the magic number or percentage rise that I need to look for to tell me the pressure is too high and that I need to clean the filter?

Thanks

20% rise in pressure is an indicator to clean the filter.

You can use a photo hosting website such as photobucket.com to host your pictures. You just copy a link into your post when you want to add a picture.

PhotoBucket link is good.

If you want to post the pic directly to the thread, click the tag. It will automatically copy it, then you can paste it into your reply:

[URL=http://s49.photobucket.com/user/fklash/media/IMG_20150720_131624_zpswf5aboxp.jpg.html][IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/fklash/IMG_20150720_131624_zpswf5aboxp.jpg[/URL]

For those who live in freezing climates, remove the gauge and plug the hole when you close your pool. The water in the gauge won't normally drain completely, thus freeze damaging the gauge. Also a greased works gauge will work fine for pool applications. Liquid filled is more necessary for pulsation. Centrifugal pumps generally don't require it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.